RED TILE COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111379

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: RED TILE COTTAGES

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED TILE COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111379 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 06:15:52.

Location

Statutory Address: RED TILE COTTAGES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Matching

National Grid Reference: TL 51606 12515

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 SW MATCHING NEWMAN'S END Red Tile Cottages 3/31 (formerly listed as Nos 1 to 4 5.6.78 (Consec) (Red Tile Cottages)) II

Lobby-entrance house,c.1600, extended in C17 and C19. Timber-framed, plastered, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. Originally of 3 bays aligned approx. N-S with axial chimney stack in middle bay, forming a lobby entrance. Axial chimney stack at S end, C19. One-bay extension to S, C17, with axial chimney stack at S end, C19. Extensions to N, S and W, forming a block of cottages, C19. 2 storeys. E elevation, 4 plain boarded doors, 12 C20 metal casement windows on ground floor, 5 more on first floor. Some framing exposed internally. In original building, axial and transverse beams plain chamfered with step stops, joists of deep section unchamfered. In C17 S extension, axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, thinner joists of vertical section unchamfered. Jowled posts, with arched braces to tiebeams. Tiebeam between N and middle bay of original building removed, replaced by iron tie rod. Arched braces from posts to wallplates inside studs, apparently not trenched. Clasped purlin roof, curved wind bracing. Some original hardwood floorboards, rebated, covered by softwood boards. This building is depicted in elevation in the Walker map of 1609 (Essex Record Office D/DU 25), with a double chimney stack immediately S of centre, and 4 windows at each floor. It then formed part of the manor of Housham Hall (to which it continued to belong until c.1975) and was held by Edward Gemminges with 72 acres, called Newlandes alias Newmans. The other farm buildings depicted - 2 barns, a carthouse and a stable - have gone. RCHM 17.

Listing NGR: TL5160612515

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118191

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing