This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LATTON PRIORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LATTON PRIORY

List entry Number: 1111392

Location

LATTON PRIORY, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Weald Bassett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118222

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 466 066 NORTH WEALD BASSETT LONDON ROAD 4/26 Latton Priory

GV II*

Ruined priory, early C14, converted to a barn. Flint rubble with some Roman brick and dressings of Reigate stone, barn structure timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises (1) the crossing and a little of the N and S transepts and nave of an Augustinian priory, established in the C12, rebuilt in the early C14, already abandoned by 1534, and (2) timber framed structures converting it to a barn, C17 and later. The crossing has on each side a 2 centred-arch of 2 moulded orders with a label; the responds are moulded and have each 3 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The N transept survives for approximately 3 metres on each side. In the E wall there is a blocked 2-centred arch formerly opening into a N chapel; the responds had attached shafts of which the moulded capitals are visible; the E wall has a moulded string course internally and externally. In the W wall is a blocked doorway with segmental pointed head on the E side and 2-centred head on the W side, formerly opening into the N aisle. Approximately metres of the E side of the S transept survives. There is a blocked window with shafted splays and destroyed head; below the sill is a moulded internal string course. Approximately 3.5 metres of the nave walls survive. The weathering of the N aisle is visible externally and above it a blocked sexfoiled circular window. In the S wall there is a blocked doorway with moulded jambs of 2 orders, the E much repaired with brickwork, with 2- centred arch on the inside, segmental pointed arch on the outside, both with moulded labels. Piscina in the E wall of the N transept, with moulded and shafted jambs, trefoiled head, drain missing, C14. E of the crossing, on the site of the presbytery, there is a timber framed barn of 3 bays with hipped roof. Jowled posts, primary straight bracing in walls, queen strut roof with clasped purlins and no wind bracing, late C17. S of the crossing, incorporating the remaining wall of the S transept, there is a 3-bay barn of similar structure but of C19 construction. N of the crossing the remaining walls are sloped off to form a lean-to, weatherboarded, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. In the NE angle there is a C20 extension of breeze blocks with steel stanchions and corrugated iron roof. In the NW angle there is a lean-to roofed with corrugated iron and C19 red clay Roman tiles. RCHM 3 (parish of Latton). Two engravings of Latton Priory are included in J. and G. Storer: Antiquarian and Topographical Cabinet, 1809, showing it in use as a barn then, but with more of it still present. They state that the S transept collapsed about 1806. It is difficult to reconcile their measurements with those of the RCHM. The post-dissolution history is covered in B. Winstone: Epping and Ongar Highway Trust, 1891, 274-5.

Listing NGR: TL4657906558

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)
Storer, J, Storer, G, Antiquarian and Topographical Cabinet, (1809)
Winstone, B, Epping and Ongar Highway Trust, (1891), 274-5

National Grid Reference: TL 46579 06558

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:55:51.

End of official listing