WOOD NORTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111734

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: WOOD NORTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOOD NORTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:13:29.

Location

Statutory Address: WOOD NORTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Norton and Lenchwick

National Grid Reference: SP 01697 47089

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON AND LENCHWICK - SP 04 NW

897-0/3/10000 Wood Norton Hall

GV II*

Country house. 1897, by G.H.Hunt, for Duc d'Orleans. Red brick with freestone dressings and some timber-framing with pargeted panels; plain machine tile roofs with coped parapeted gable ends. Brick axial, gable-end and lateral stacks with brick shafts and corbelling. PLAN: Large mansion with principal rooms on the south front and with the entrance side on the east with the entrance hall in the north east comer leading to an axial corridor behind the principal rooms and with the services at the back. Jacobethan style. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical south garden front of 1:2:1:3:1:2 bays, the three single bays are gabled and advanced and have ashlar 3-storey canted bay windows with cartouches and arms and date in pinnacled gable above; between the gabled bays the first and attic floors are timber-framed with pargeted fleur-de-lis in the panels and gabled dormers; between the two right hand gables a 3-bay colonnade with a balustrade above; large lateral stack on the right with stone corbelled shaft with panel containing Royal cipher and crown. Lead drain pipes and rainwater heads with Royal cipher and crowns. The asymmetrical east entrance front is of 1:2:1 bays, first floor of central two bays is timber-framed as on south front, the outer bays are gabled and advanced, the left as on south front, the right larger with stepped gable and large polygonal turrets and large carved stone Royal arms in the gable, canted oriel on the first floor and 3-centred arch doorway on right with crowns, Royal cipher and fleur-de-lis in the spandrels; inside the porch large carved stone arms and doors with carved panels and fine repousse door-plates. INTERIOR is sumptuously fitted out; most of the rooms are elaborately panelled and ceiled; there are intricately detailed door panels, over-doors, door-plates and elaborate chimney pieces; inside the fireplaces there are cast-iron fire-backs with arms and fleur-de-lis. Above the panelling in some of the corridors and above the stair dados there are tapestries with fleur-de-lis and Royal ciphers; the staircases are finely carved, have arcaded balustrades and carved crowns on the newels. One of the original bathrooms remains intact with a panelled ceiling, marble walls and bath with shower surmounted by a crown. Some of the original light fittings survive. The roof has been rebuilt after a fire and the attics were gutted. HISTORY: In 1872 the estate was bought by the Duc d'Aumale, the fourth son of the King of France. After his death in 1897 it passed to his great nephew the Duc d'Orleans, who rebuilt Wood Norton Hall. The Duc d'Aumale was pretender to the French throne and the claim passed to the Duc d'Orleans in 1897. The family left Wood Norton Hall in 1912. It is now occupied by the BBC as a training centre. SOURCES: Cox, B.G., Wood Norton Hall Near Evesham; 1975. Buildings of England, pp. 226 and 227.

Listing NGR: SP0169747089

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 354842

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cox, B G, Wood Norton Hall Near Evesham, (1975)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 226-227

End of official listing