Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111761

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1988



Ordnance survey map of MERCHISTOUN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 16:08:19.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire (District Authority)

Parish: Horndean

National Grid Reference: SU 70030 12880


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/29 Merchistoun Hall


House. Early C19 house, with internal alterations of c1830 and with late C19 concert hall extension and 1920s service wing. Stuccoed with incised lines to imitate masonry and hipped slate roof (with 5 hips to rear). Cemented chimneystacks. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Five 1920s mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lights replacing 9-pane sashes on first floor. Taller mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor but some may originally have been French windows. Central doorcase retains early C19 fanlight with rectangular moulded architrave, fans in corners and round-headed fanlight with thin Gothic glazing bars. C20 door. Later C19 colonnade of 12 Tuscan columns and 1920s tiled roof sweeping round side elevation where there are 4 columns. Left side elevation has 2 French windows to ground floor. Right side elevation has a French window with original shutters and 2 first floor C19 casements. Later C19 stuccoed concert hall extension with slate roof to north west and 1920s painted brick service wing to north east. Interior contains a hall with two c1830 6-panelled doors with reeded surrounds with lions mask paterae and arched reeded entrance to staircase hall, also reeded, with lions head paterae and elliptical fanlight with 6-panelled double doors. Fine early C19 well staircase with 3 iron stick balusters to each tread and every third tread has iron balusters with paterae. Scrolled tread ends and mahogany handrail. 3 early C19 6-panelled doors to ground floor of staircase hall, 1 on half landing and six to first floor. Some 1920s mantelpieces, not of special interest. The earliest reference to the building is of 1804 when the land is known to have been owned by a Joseph Franklin. Between 1812 and 1836 it was known as Quallet's Grove and was owned by Colonel James Conway. Between 1836 and 1860 it was the home of Admiral Sir Charles Napier famous for the Battle of Cape Vincent in 1833 and for the capture of Acre. The house was renamed Merchistoun Hall after his birthplace in Stirlingshire.

Listing NGR: SU7002112883


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 354806

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing