This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1112053



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ardleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120391

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/46 Spring Valley Mill 17.11.66 GV II*.

Water mill, later adapted to steam, now empty. Late C18. Timber framed and weatherboarded. Red tiled roof of 2 levels, gambrelled to road (north) with lucom at apex. Painted brick ground floor. 2 storeys and loft, lower south bays and lean-to. Cast iron overshot wheel. Road face (north) with arched braces to gabled lucom, 2 open lights under, first floor vertically sliding sash window, vertically boarded door. South face. 2:1:1 first floor small paned vertically sliding sashes, moulded surrounds. Ground floor 1:1:0 similar windows. 2 doors to north range and a door each to south range and south extension, all vertically boarded. The machinery and interior of the mill are complete but not in working order. Overshot waterwheel with cast iron frame and wrought iron buckets, fed by a cast iron trough from the mill pond. The wheel shaft, pit wheel and wallower are cast iron, but the upright shaft and great spur wheel are of wood. The great spur wheel is of the old compass-arm construction with 6 arms passing through the upright shaft. There are 3 pairs of millstones on the first floor complete with cases and hoppers etc., underdriven from the spur wheel below. All tentering gear is present. Above the stones is a wooden crown wheel and layshaft, which drove the sack hoist above and any dressing machinery the mill may have had. The roof space is partitioned into bins, and contains the sack hoist, which could act through the external sack traps or the lucom. Setting for the novel Treasure at the Mill by M. Sackville. Robert Deeves was the miller working for Bezaliel Angier of Colchester, 1796. F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in .1796", 1978. Information from V.C. Parmenter, E.C.C. Wheelwright. Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology, J. Booker, 1980. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: TM0383027745

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Booker, J, Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology, (1979)
Erith, F H, Ardleigh in 1796, (1978)

National Grid Reference: TM 03830 27745


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:30:08.

End of official listing