ST MARY'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112098

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: ST MARY'S HOUSE, CLACTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARY'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112098 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:07:29.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARY'S HOUSE, CLACTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Little Oakley

National Grid Reference: TM2120828459

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE OAKLEY CLACTON ROAD TM 22 NW (west side) 4/52 St. Mary's House, formerly listed as Church of St. Mary

GV II*

Wrongly shown on O.S. map as St. Mary's Church. Former parish church, now a house. Mainly C12-C15, restored in C19 and 1902, declared redundant in 1973. Septaria and flint rubble, repaired with red brick in various bonds, all plastered, with dressings of limestone, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Nave early C12, Chancel mid-C14, W tower late C15, S porch C19/20. The Chancel has an original E window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights with net tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded labels, restored externally; above it is a small square-headed opening, now blocked. On the apex of the gable is a C14 cross, repaired. In the N wall are 2 C14 windows; the eastern is of one cinquefoiled light with moulded label; the western is of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with flowing tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label. Between them is a blocked window of 2 square-headed lights with external splays, formerly to a N vestry, now plastered over externally. E of this is a blocked doorway with a segmental-pointed head. In the S wall are 2 original windows, partly restored, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label. The sill of the eastern window is carried down to form a seat. Between them is a doorway, restored except the C14 splays and rear-arch; covering this doorway and under a buttress is a small porch having a C14 outer archway with wave-moulded jambs and 2-centred head, with moulded label and grotesque head-stops. The mid-C14 chancel-arch is 2-centred and of 2 chamfered orders; the responds have attached octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The 7-canted roof is C14, with moulded wallplates. The Nave has in the N wall a mid-C14 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a 2-centred head with moulded label. Further E is the C15 rood-loft stair; the lower doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. Near the W end is the C14 N doorway, with double hollow-moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label, now blocked. In the S wall are 2 windows; the eastern is C14, of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label; the western window is C19. Between them is an early C12 window of one round-headed light, blocked. W of the windows is the mid-C14 S doorway, with wave-moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label with defaced headstops. The door is original, of V-edged boards with strap-hinges, each enlarged to a rectangle near the jamb, restored inside. The roof of the Nave is similar to that of the Chancel, the wallplates and tiebeams restored. There are 4 in-pitch skylights in the N pitch, and 3 in the S pitch. The W tower is of one stage, partly late C15, partly C19; it has a moulded plinth with cusped panels formerly of flint-inlay work, now cement-rendered. The tower-arch has been rebuilt, incorporating original material. The W window is of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head with moulded label. The W doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch in a square head with a moulded label and stops carved with crowned lions; the jambs and arch-mould are carved with square flowers, and the spandrels with shields of arms; above the label is a range of trefoiled panels with blank shields in alternate panels, partly rendered. The double doors are of ridged boards with moulded frame and fillets, late C15. There is one C20 casement in the W gable of the plain pitched roof. The door to the stair-turret is late C15, of one timber carved in the solid to form a hollow-moulded frame with 4-centred head, and 3 hollow-moulded fillets and ridged panels between. The S porch is C19/20, with a re-set C14 cinquefoiled window-head in each side wall. Fittings. In the Chancel is a piscina with shafted and buttressed jambs, cinquefoiled head, with tall crocketed gabled head enclosing blind tracery, flanking pinnacles and sexfoiled drain, C14. Also in the Chancel are 2 niches, flanking the E window, with shafted and buttressed jambs, canopy with ribbed soffit painted in blue and gold, cinquefoiled, gabled and crocketed heads, and crocketed and finialed spire, C14, partly restored. A wooden floor inserted since 1973 leaves these features exposed above and below it. There are floor-slabs in the Chancel (1) to Robert Blacksell, 1671 (or 1674), (2) to - Blacksell, 1672, (3) to Robert Blacksell, 1680, (4) to Robert Blacksell, 1682, (5) to Robert Beale. At the N side of the Nave are C13 floor-tiles, incised with geometrical or rose designs. (M.J. Corbishley et al, Excavations at St. Mary's Church, Little Oakley, Essex, 1977, Essex County Council Occasional Paper no. 4, 1984, 15-27). The conversion to domestic use is described by Christopher Matthew in 'Parish News', Punch, 22 August 1984, 35-6.

Listing NGR: TM2120828459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120286

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Punch' in Punch, (1984), 35-6
Corbishley, M J et al, 'Essex County Council' in Excavations at St Marys Church Little Oakley Essex 1977, (1984), 15-27

End of official listing