CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1112151
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 17:58:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish:
Thaxted
National Grid Reference:
TL 61044 31014

Details

1. THAXTED

Church of St John the TL62SW: 5/1 Baptist 20.2.67 (formerly listed as Church of St John the Baptist, St Mary and St Laurence) I

2. C14, C15 and early C16, of flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Lead, slate and tile roofs. North and South arcades are circa 1340, south transept, south porch and porch chamber are late C14. North transept, early C15, Mid C15 north porch and porch chamber. Late C15 west tower, with early C19 spire. Chancel, north and south chapels rebuilt early C16, when clerestorey added. This is the largest church in the County and has numerous original features, notably:- Early C16 east window in Chancel, of 5 cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a segmental pointed head. C16 stair in SE angle, with four centred arch to doorway. North and south arcades are of 4 bays each, with moulded piers and attached shafts, with moulded bases and capitals. 4 centred arches, with pierced traceried spandrels. East window in north chapel is early C16, of 4 cinquefoiled lights with Tracery in a 4 centred head. Moulded jambs and mullions. Stone benches between windows. Four similar windows in north wall with square heads. Doorway with 4 centred arch in sqare head and moulded jambs. Arch to N transept in moulded, 4 centred with attached shafts, moulded bases and capitals. South Chapel detailing matches north chapel, with (l19 south doorway. 4 centred N and S arches, and 2 centred E end to crossing are early C16. W arch is mid C14 of 2 moulded arches with moulded labels, raised in C16. North transept has C15 wheel window of eight radiating cinquefoiled lights. C18 windows in C15 recesses, one with angel stops. C15 west arch, four centred, with attached shafts, with moulded bases and capitals. Blocked C15 window in South transept. South window is C18 in C14 opening. West wall has C14 arch, of 2 moulded arches, with curved angels at the apex of the labels. Capital at south side has figure of St Katherine. North and South arcades to nave are C14, matching west arch of crossing. Piers have 4 round shafts with rolls between. Early C16 clerestery has C18 and C19 windows. North aisle has 5 mid C15 windows, 3 with 4 trefoiled agee lights with tracery under a 3 centred head. The remaining windows are similar but 3. and 5 lights respectively. N doorway has moulded jambs and 2 centred arch, attached shafts, moulded bases and capitals, and angel stops. South aisle 2 windows similar to north aisle and 2 late C14 windows with cinquefoiled lights and tracery in segmental heads. Late C14 south doorway has moulded jambs. 2 centred arch. C15 doorway to porch chamber stair. Modern west window. West tower of 4 stages with semi-hexagonal and battered turrets to lower stages and diagonal buttresses above. Panelled and embattled parapet, with crocketted pinnacles. Bell chamber 2 two light windows in each face, with square heads. Late C15, 2 centred tower arch. Mid C15 north porch, 2 centred entrance archway, with traceried spandrels. E. wall has blocked original window. Stone vault roof. Porch chamber has C19 windows. Late C14 south porch, has 2 centred entrance archway, with smaller 4 centred archways in east and west walls. Church vault roof. Porch chamber has 2 original windows of 4 ogee lights under a square head. Nave roof is early C16 is camber-beamed, 4 panels wide. North aisle roof, of C15, has knees and angel carvings at bay centres. South aisle has carved angels of C16. C14 south transept roof. North transept has King post of late C14 or early C15. Early C16 roofs to chapels, as is the Chancel roof with stout King posts. C15 or early C16 north and south doors. C 1400 Nave door, with ogee headed niches. C16 font case and cover. C17 Pulpit. Late C17 Communion rail. C17 screens to north and south chapel. C17 benches. Brass of 1450 in chancel. (RCHM 2).

Listing NGR: TL6104631017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
122250
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15992/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neville Broadbent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].