GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112492

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: GUILDHALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112492 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 05:00:28.

Location

Statutory Address: GUILDHALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Ashdon

National Grid Reference: TL 58103 41465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHDON CHURCH END 1. 5222 Guildhall TL 5841 29/25 26.11.51

II* GV

2. Late C15 timber-framed building mentioned in a will dated 1501 when Roger Bryght left his tenement with 2 houses on it, called "Bryghtes" to the Guild of St Mary the Virgin. The first mention of the Guildhall occurs in the court roll for the Manor of Ashdon Hall in 1518. In 1731 the Guildhall was converted into 3 dwellings for poor families and in the C20 it was restored and converted into one tenement. On the north side the timber-framing is exposed and it is plastered on the south side. Two storeys. The upper storey is jettied on the north front, on exposed joists with the remains of some original brackets and shafts. Five window farm on the north and south fronts. Casements with lattice leaded lights. On the upper storey of the north front there are the remains of the sills of 3 original oriel windows and a restored boarded and studded door. Roof tiled, with a gambrel at the east end. A modern porch projects on the south side. (RCHM 7).

Listing NGR: TL5810341465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 121431

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing