COCK AND BELL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112509

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: COCK AND BELL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of COCK AND BELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112509 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 15:41:08.

Location

Statutory Address: COCK AND BELL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: High Easter

National Grid Reference: TL6206414742

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 61 SW HIGH EASTER THE STREET (east side)

3/46 Cock and Bell 7/2/52 (Formerly listed as Cock and Bell Inn) GV II*

Public house. C.1400 and C16. Timber framed and plastered but with frame exposed on front and north flank. Roofs are gabled and of peg tile. Of 2 storeys and of 'H' plan form with crosswings at north and south ends. North crosswing is jettied on north and west faces with a dragon post with moulded capital, original jetty brackets and double bracing on the front. A 3 light window on the corner has glazed hollow chamfered mullions. The 'hall' block is contemporary with this and was formerly jettied along its front. This part is now concealed by a parapetted single storey infill block of white plastered brick. The south C16 crosswing has exposed framing showing cills of former pair of oriel windows and 2 original jetty brackets. On the upper floor flank an arch headed window opening is now blocked with plaster. A large stack projects through the flat roofed extension against the flank of this wing. Windows are a mixture of C18 double hung sash windows with small panes and C20 casements. Under the north jetty is a canted C18 bay window of double hung sashes. Internally, the north crosswing is of 2 bays with chamfered girts with a cambered central tie beam on knee brackets and a crown post roof with longitudinal braces. In the upper floor a narrow arch headed door leads to the first floor chamber or the hall. This appears to be contemporary and similar to the crosswing whichhas soffit tennoned floor joists and a possibly original rear lean-to. This curious structure is of one very large bay with traces of old floor opening for former smoke hood. The south crosswing of the C16 has a moulded and arch headed parlour door and moulded bridging joists on moulded impost blocks. This wing is of 3 bays and the rear chamber has another blocked arch headed window to the rear yard. To the rear of the main building is a range of attached 2 and single storey outbuildings some with pantile and some with peg tile roofs. A single storey C20 block with gable peg tile roof is attached to the rear of the north wing. RCHM 13.

Listing NGR: TL6206414742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 121364

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing