Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1112667

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1959



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 04:06:08.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford (District Authority)

Parish: Hockley

National Grid Reference: TQ 82595 93400


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HOCKLEY CHURCH ROAD TQ 89 SW (east side) 3/27 Church of St Peter and St Paul 27.7.59 - II*

Parish church. Possibly pre C12 Nave, C13 Chancel, circa 1210-20 north aisle and north arcade. C14 west tower with top stage of an unknown date, C16/C17 south porch and in C17 east wall of Chancel rebuilt. C19/C20 north vestry and restorations. Traditionally believed to have been built by Canute and Turkill the Dane after victory over Edmund Ironside at the Battle of Ashingdon, no dateable features visible. Of mixed rubble, limestone dressings, red brick south porch. Red plain tiled roof, shingle spire. Chancel, east wall, rubble with plastered gabled, red brick quoins, some gault brick repairs. East window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery over, 2 centre arched head and label. South wall, western restored round headed window label over. C13 chamfered 2 centre arched doorway, label over, blocked C14 2 centre arched window. North vestry; east cinquefoiled window, 2 centre arched head and label, north wall, two 2 light windows under square heads, C20 door. North aisle, plastered red tiled buttress to east. C20 chamfered and trefoiled eastern window, north doorway, eroded soft stone C13 2 centre arched doorway. Western 2 centre arched window. Nave. South wall, three 3 light windows similar to east window. South porch, red brick, weatherboarded gable, square doorway with C20 diamond boarding to doors, single light 4 centred return windows, side seats, cambered tie beam, arched braces missing, collars to each rafter pair. Trefoiled stoup to east wall. C13 south doorway with jambs and 2 centred arch of 2 chamfered orders. West tower, of 2 stages, the lower square, the upper an irregular octagon with restored crenellations and band, angle buttresses to first stage are capped with red tiles. Small shingle spire with weathervane. Restored trefoiled 2 light windows under square heads labels over,to 4 faces of belfry. North face, stone capping over first stage. 2 small lights, the upper trefoiled ogee, the lower much worn but possibly originally ogee, C20 single storey lean-to. West face, west doorway, badly worn soft stone ogee arch under a square head, worn niche to second stage. South face. Lower trefoiled window under a square head and label, worn ogee window over. Blocked small pointed light to south east second stage. Interior. Chancel. Staggered side purlin roof. 3 tie beams. Blocked 4 centre arched north wall window. Piscina pointed heart shaped head, square base, rear lintel or shelf, blocked drain, segmental heads to north and south doorways. Panelled dado, C20 traceried altar rail. C20 wood block floors. Floor slab illegible. No Chancel arch, tie beam with arched brace. Rood beam with Christ and the 2 Maries. Nave, wooden octagonal pulpit carved and restored by Miss A.S. Tawke 1926, Lamb, Fish and Cock to side panels. Roof, four 4 armed square crown posts with capitals and bases on stop chamfered tie beams, moulded wall plates to one bay. Piscina to south wall with square head, much worn. C1844 south eastern memorial window cuts through the original rood loft stairs doorway. C13 very large purbeck marble octagonal font, each face with 2 shallow 2 centred arches, the stem cut down with shafts at angles, plain base. Requiem altar, part of a large high altar discovered 1937 beneath the eastern end of the nave, with chamfered lower edge and 3 consecration crosses. Carved low rail from south doorway enclosing font to north. C1210-20 north arcade of 4 bays with 2 centred arches of outer plain, inner chamfered orders. Circular columns, moulded bases carved foliate capitals, responds have attached half columns. North aisle. C13 lancet window to west wall. East cinquefoil light window with C15 quarries of yellow glass forming a cross and inscribed "Deus" or "Ictus" in black letters. C20 ornaments of Nave and Lady Chapel, Stations of the Cross and Rood and statues of SS Peter and Paul carved in limewood by Austrian woodcarver Anton Dapre. Organ converted from a Robson Barrel Organ in 1841 with later rebuilding. Chamfered 2 centred arched Piscina to north wall. Chamfered 2 centred tower arch. Stair turret door to north of arch. West tower belfry frame with corner posts, arched braces to side girts and braces from cill to centre of side girts to north and south, all much worn. Carved wood 1914-18 War memorial to north wall by W. Himpett. Crucifix fashioned from remnants of belfry frame. 3 bells by Miles Gray 1626, James Bartlett 1684 and John Hodgson 1657. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8259593400

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122989

Legacy System: LBS


War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from

End of official listing