University College (University of London) and attached railings to north and south wings

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1113056
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
University College (University of London) and attached railings to north and south wings, Gower Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of University College (University of London) and attached railings to north and south wings
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:07:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
University College (University of London) and attached railings to north and south wings, Gower Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29582 82298

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/06/2019

TQ2982SE 798-1/94/612

CAMDEN GOWER STREET (West side) University College (University of London) and attached railings to north and south wings 10/06/54

GV I College. Central block c1827-29 by W Wilkins and J.P Gandy-Deering. Flaxman Gallery and Library c1848 by T.L Donaldson. South wing, c1869-76, north wing c1870-1881, both by T. Hayter Lewis. North-west wing 1912-13 by F.M Simpson. South-west wing, c1923 by A.E Richardson. South Junction block 1950, North Junction block 1951, Physics Building 1950-52 by A.E Richardson and E.A.S Houfe. STYLE/PLAN: stone buildings in Neo-Grecian style enclosing a quadrangle, the Flaxman Gallery and library extending from the rear of the portico.

EXTERIOR: main facade and wings, two storeys and attic. Central block: decastyle Corinthian pedimented portico on high podium approached by Imperial steps with solid stone balustrade and piers. Behind the pediment, the enriched copper dome, with blind stone lantern, of the Flaxman Gallery. Flanking the portico, 22 bays with rusticated ground floor and pilasters rising from the first floor and carrying an entablature. Architraved sash windows with cornices. Attic with rectangular, small paned windows in groups of three. Flaxman Gallery and Library: space below the dome remodelled by Donaldson to house the plaster originals of Flaxman's sculptures.

Library block of three storeys in brick with a stone arcade of paired columns at ground floor level. Stone band at first floor level. Large arcaded windows with stone impost bands. Second floor stepped back, a partly blind arcade only the arched heads being glazed. Enriched stone roundels in the spandrels. Stone capped parapet.

North and south wings: two storeys with 13 bays each of which the centre bays form projecting semi-rotundas with Corinthian columns rising from the first floor carrying entablature and parapet. One bay either side of these features also projecting. First floor with pilasters between architraved sash windows with console bracketed cornices and sill string. Ground floor rusticated with architraved sashes with cornices. Architraved entrances, in the centre of projecting semi-rotundas, with console bracketed cornices, fanlights and panelled doors. Enriched frieze at first floor level.

North-west and south-west wings: 11 bays each in similar style but without rotundas. End bays projecting at entrance to quadrangle with three window returns. Similar facades to Gower Street.

INTERIORS: all retain original features.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and stone piers to basement areas of wings.

HISTORICAL NOTE: founded to provide university education without religious bias and the first college of London University. Housed in a cupboard in the College is the dressed skeleton of Jeremy Bentham, philosopher and reformer who bequeathed himself on his death in 1832. Also housed at the college, a collection of neo-Classical sculpture by Flaxman and a collection of pictures. Listing NGR: TQ2958282298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477406
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13258/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].