UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL GENERAL BLOCK ONLY AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1113059
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL GENERAL BLOCK ONLY AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL GENERAL BLOCK ONLY AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 01:32:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL GENERAL BLOCK ONLY AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29478 82220

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2982SW GOWER STREET 798-1/93/615 (West side) 12/03/74 University College Hospital General Block only and attached railings

GV II

Hospital block. 1897-1906. By Alfred and Paul Waterhouse. Red brick with terracotta horizontal bands and dressings. Steeply pitched slated roofs with dormers. Cross-shaped plan set diagonally to Gower Street. EXTERIOR: 4 main storeys, attics and basements. Central entrance lodge; 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic with terracotta bands and rounded angles. Round-arched ground floor openings. Central entrance flanked by columns supporting an entablature with parapet and ball finials. Segmental arched 1st floor sashes separated by pilasters supporting a projecting dentil cornice and pediment over the central bays. Pediment flanked by full size sash window dormers in steep mansard roof. Main buildings with central staircase projection with 3 lancet windows and steep pointed roof behind which a bell tower with spire. To either side, tall chimney-stacks and pots. Diagonally from this feature, wings with projecting 2-window, pedimented bays. Main range of windows with enriched surrounds and pierced decorative grilles to aprons. Wings terminate with a bay of balconies to each floor and 3-window rectangular towers, with dormers corbelled at the angles, and surmounted by pointed roofs with rectangular, louvred features. Main cornice at attic level. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with parapet wall behind area basement blocks. HISTORICAL NOTE: important as the first reaction against Florence Nightingale's long-pervasive pavilion planning, and the first importation of American ideas on 'towers of healing' for city sites. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 85-6).





Listing NGR: TQ2947882220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477409
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21, (1949), 85-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12053/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].