This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

20, MARESFIELD GARDENS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 20, MARESFIELD GARDENS

List entry Number: 1113113

Location

20, MARESFIELD GARDENS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477491

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2684NW MARESFIELD GARDENS 798-1/49/1107 (East side) 14/05/74 No.20

II

Detached house, now a museum. Early C20. Red brick with rusticated brick quoins. Tiled roof with 3, tall chimney-stacks and upswept eaves with modillion eaves cornice. C17 style. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows plus asymmetrically set 3-window canted entrance bay. Doorway with cornice-head flanked by console-brackets supporting broken pediment hood; door with panels shaped to oculus. Subsidiary part-glazed panelled door to left. Flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. Entrance bay with tall transom and mullion windows to 1st floor. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: plaque records this as the home of Sigmund Freud in exile from the summer of 1938 until his death in September 1939. Following his death the house was lived in by Anna Freud (d.1982), his daughter and herself a leading psychoanalyst. In 1986 the house was opened as a museum reflecting the life and work of father and daughter, including the former's collection of antiquities and much of his furniture, including 'The Couch'.







Listing NGR: TQ2648284855

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26482 84855

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:14:20.

End of official listing