NUMBERS 11-26 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BYRON COURT (NUMBER 26)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113118
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 11-26 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BYRON COURT (NUMBER 26), 11-26, MECKLENBURGH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 11-26 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BYRON COURT (NUMBER 26)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113118 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 14:11:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 11-26 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BYRON COURT (NUMBER 26), 11-26, MECKLENBURGH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30688 82380

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3082SE MECKLENBURGH SQUARE 798-1/96/1112 (East side) 10/06/54 Nos.11-26 (Consecutive) and attached railings, Byron Court (No.26)

GV II*

Terrace of 24 houses forming the east side of Mecklenburgh Square. No.26 incorporates former Nos 27-34. c1810-20. By Joseph Kay. Thomas Penthrin built Nos 11-19 & 30-34; George Payne Nos 20-29. Nos 15 and 27-34 rebuilt in facsimile c1950. Multi-coloured stock brick with stucco ground floors. Centre pavilion (Nos 21-25) and end pavilions (Nos 11-15) and (31-34) in stucco. EXTERIOR: formal composition of 4 storeys, basements and Nos 26-33 with C20 dormers. No.23 with large dormer. Mostly 2 windows each. Centre pavilion: ground floors rusticated stucco with round arched doorways with fluted pilaster-jambs and cornice heads (Greek key pattern), fanlights and panelled doors. Centre 5 bays slightly recessed with 4 Greek Ionic columns rising through 1st and 2nd floors, flanked by 3 bays articulated by 4 pilasters. Enriched entablature with projecting cornice at 3rd floor level. Recessed sash windows; ground floor outer bays segmental headed with small panes to edges, 1st floor centre 6 with pedimented heads, outer bays square-headed in shallow round-arched recesses. All 1st floor with cast-iron balconies. Between 1st and 2nd floor outer bays enriched recessed panels with swags reflecting the round-arched windows in the attic storey. Attic storey with moulded pilasters carrying cornice, the centre pilasters terminating in segmental anthemion stops. Blocking course. Outer pavilions: similar but with only 2 Ionic columns, segmental headed ground floor windows and square-headed 1st floor windows. Nos 16-20 & 26-30: round-arched doorways with fluted pilaster-jambs and cornice-heads (Greek key pattern), fanlights and panelled double doors. Doorways to former Nos 26-34 replaced by windows except former No.29, now main entrance to Byron Court. Segmental headed ground floor windows. Upper floors with gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes; 1st floor with cast-iron balconies. Plain stucco entablature at 3rd floor level. Parapets. INTERIORS: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn finials to areas; Nos 12, 14, 16 and 19 with wrought-iron lamp



brackets. HISTORICAL NOTE: No.21 was the residence of RH Tawney, historian, teacher & political writer (GLC plaque). No.15 and Nos 22-25 (consec) were listed on 14/05/74. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood (St Pancras part IV): London: -1952: 47-50).



Listing NGR: TQ3067582415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477496
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Kings Cross neighbourhood The Parish of St Pancras Part 4: Volume 24 , (1951), 47-50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].