LONDON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113121

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1996

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, DOUGHTY STREET

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, GUILFORD STREET

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, MECKLENBURGH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONDON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 11:21:53.

Location

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, DOUGHTY STREET

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, GUILFORD STREET

Statutory Address: LONDON HOUSE, MECKLENBURGH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30655 82299

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ3082SE 798-1/96/1755

CAMDEN MECKLENBURGH SQUARE (South side) London House

19/04/96 GV II Includes: London House DOUGHTY STREET. Includes: London House GUILFORD STREET. International Hall of Residence for post-graduates. 1936-63. By Sir Herbert Baker (who prepared a complete scheme in the 1930s), Alexander T Scott and Vernon Helbing.

Basement of flint with random stone blocks. Upper storeys of red brick with stone quoins, bands and cornices. Hipped roofs of tile. Neo-Georgian style, with collegiate planning. EXTERIOR: Two-four main storeys. Irregular fenestration with sash windows; dormers in roofs.

Guilford Street (south) front: centre and right wing of 1936-7, left wing of 1949-54. Basically symmetrical, with broad projecting ends and lower centre, the central entrance having three open round arches, the middle one higher, and heraldic devices in stone above. Right wing (housing library) with stone plaque between ground and upper storey commemorating Sir Charles Parsons, and cornice with large inscription in raised brickwork, 'Immortalis est ingenii memoria'.

Doughty Street (east) front largely of 1961-3, similar to south front but simplified, with three open round entrance arches in centre, the middle one raised.

Mecklenburgh Place (west) front of 1949-54 plain, basically symmetrical with some irregularities and occasional iron balconies. Open quadrangle within has good elevations, notably the east side where the five-bay stone-dressed hall is set left of centre with full-height central bay bearing inscription to Evan Evans Bevan below round-headed window; and south side which has projecting round-arched cloister arcade along ground storey and a bust of F.C Goodenough in niche over central entrance. INTERIOR: wing of 1936-7 has generous asymmetrical staircase hall, paved and walled to half-height in Hopton Wood stone, balustrade partly stone, partly iron, urns in niches. Double-height dining hall with high oak panelling, plaster over with astronomical 'Empire clock' at south end, and cove to ceiling with coloured plaster shields and devices by Laurence Turner. Ground floor with common room with deep plastered beams. Parsons Library over (partly altered) with oak bookcases to half height and cove to ceiling with plaster shields and devices commemorating scientific institutions also by Turner. South-west wing includes on ground floor Churchill Room of 1952, oak-panelled to full height, and a small chapel formed in 1962-3 by Helbing with panelling behind altar. HISTORICAL NOTE: London House was established in 1931 by F.C Goodenough, who raised the funds with which to found the Dominion Students' Hall Trust, as a place where students from the British Empire could live a collegiate life. One of Sir Herbert Baker's most characteristic later buildings, comparable with Rhodes House, Oxford, and Church House, Westminster. The post-war northern and western ranges were completed to a simplified design after Baker's death in 1944.

Listing NGR: TQ3063782266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477499

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing