This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LEVITA HOUSE INCLUDING ATTACHED SHOPS AND SOMERS TOWN COFFEE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEVITA HOUSE INCLUDING ATTACHED SHOPS AND SOMERS TOWN COFFEE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1113232

Location

LEVITA HOUSE INCLUDING ATTACHED SHOPS AND SOMERS TOWN COFFEE HOUSE, OSSULSTON STREET
LEVITA HOUSE, ATTACHED SHOPS, SCREEN AND SOMERS TOWN COFFEE HOUSE, 16A-76A, CHALTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477682

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ2982NE 798-1/89/1254

CAMDEN OSSULSTON STREET (West side) Levita House including attached shops and Somers Town Coffee House

13/12/96 GV II Includes: Nos.16A-76A Levita House, attached shops, screen and Somers Town Coffee House CHALTON STREET. Blocks of council flats and attached shops and coffee house/tavern forming part of the Ossulston Estate; frontages to Ossulston Street, Chalton Street and Weir's Passage. 1930-31. To the designs of the LCC Architect's Department under G Topham Forrest. Flats and shops: load-bearing brickwork rendered with coloured roughcast, channelled to ground floor to appear as stone; reinforced concrete balconies. Hipped pantiled roofs with dormers and tall chimney-stacks. PLAN: central spine on north-south axis with four diagonal spines from angles joined to north and south blocks to form enclosed courtyards; enclosed courtyard to west, open to east. EXTERIOR: five and four storeys plus attics. Windows mostly flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. Balconies designed to make the voids above them read as holes punched in the building. Eastern range has central courtyard block of ground floor portico with outer bays of projecting balconies and inner bays of flush rectangular balconies grouped 2:3:2 to three upper floors; top floor has round-arched voids. Diagonal flanking wings have alternating canted bays.

North and south-eastern facing blocks with central round-arched vehicle entrances above which long rectangular voids with bowed fronts; top floor of three round-arched voids and central projecting semicircular balcony, all with cast-iron balustrade. Flanking bays of long rectangular voids with three vertical slits beneath each. Outer bays of paired sashes in shallow full height recesses. Other facades are variations to this style using voids, axes and massing to effect; southern facade has Lombardic frieze to parapet.

Western courtyard is enclosed by a range of single storey shops with central fluted Doric screen flanked by pillars having fielded finials to angles. Coffee house/tavern: the Somers Town Coffee House on Chalton Street forms the southern part of the entrance to the northern courtyard. 1927-8, believed to be by Halsey Ricardo. Rendered and painted brickwork. Pantiled hipped roof with tall chimney-stacks, dormers and coved cornice to projecting eaves. Two storeys, attic and cellars. Five windows and four window left hand return. Public house frontage of central transom and mullion window with small panes flanked by similar windows with central part-glazed doors. First floor slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: despite policy to house as many Londoners as possible on outlying cottage estates, pressure of waiting lists and urgency of slum clearance forced Cecil Levita, Chairman of the LCC Housing Committee to review the situation. The Ossulston Estate is the most important inner-city estate of the inter-war period, representing the most considered attempt by the LCC to inject new thinking into inner-city housing estates. It was influenced in particular by Viennese housing models and was innovative in terms of layout and elevation. This complex forms a group with Chamberlain House, Phoenix Road (qv) and the southern block of Walker House, Phoenix Road including The Cock Tavern (qv). Listing NGR: TQ2988482762

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29884 82762

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:42:44.

End of official listing