OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1113246
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, PANCRAS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113246.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 02:24:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST PANCRAS, PANCRAS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29786 83438

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2983SE PANCRAS ROAD 798-1/84/1267 (East side) 10/06/54 Old Church Of St Pancras

GV II*

Church. C11 core with later medieval additions. Rebuilt and enlarged 1847-8 by AD Gough and RL Roumieu who extended the nave westwards. They destroyed the south porch and west tower, replacing them with a new vestry on the north and the south tower. Further restoration in 1871 and 1888 by AW Blomfield who remodelled in 'Norman' style. Further restored c1925 and in 1979-80 by Erith and Terry. Coarsed rubble with stone dressings and flint east facade; pantiled and slated roofs. Rectangular, aisleless plan. EXTERIOR: nave with 5 windows plus 3 window C19 extension. 3 window chancel. Western porch with moulding carved in C19 Romanesque style, flanked by round-arched lancets with hoodmoulds with labelstops forming strings at the angles and continuing around the nave over similar windows. Continuous sill string. Traceried oculus above the porch. North and south elevations of extension with Lombard frieze at eaves level. Chancel with some remains of Romanesque work in north and south doorways and in part of a C13 lancet window; square-headed east window of 4 segmental-arched lights, in slightly projecting gabled bay. South tower in 3 stages: setback buttresses flanking a round-arched lancet; round-arched recess with clock above 2 arches to blind arcading; half-timbered belfry with louvred panels and tiled roof with projecting eaves. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted to contain some C16-19 monuments and a C6 altar-stone. HISTORICAL NOTE: by origin one of the very oldest churches in London, though much rebuilt, after the building in 1822 of St Pancras (New) Church, Upper Woburn Place (qv), the old church became a chapel of ease but in 1863 was reinstated as a parish church. (Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town (St Pancras II): London: -1938: 73-95; RCHME: London: Vol II, West London: London: -1925: 88-89; Clarke B: Parish Churches of London: London: -1966: 136-7).

Listing NGR: TQ2978683438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477696
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Old St Pancras and Kentish Town The Parish of St Pancras Part 2: Volume 19 , (1938), 73-95
Other
Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey, (1925)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16604/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].