WEST BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT ST BERNARDS CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113382

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: WEST BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT ST BERNARDS CONVENT, LANGLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT ST BERNARDS CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 14:55:33.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST BLOCK AND CHAPEL AT ST BERNARDS CONVENT, LANGLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Slough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 99028 79527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 97 NE SLOUGH LANGLEY ROAD (north side)

4/12 West Block And Chapel At St. Bernard's Convent

II

House and chapel, now convent school and chapel. Circa 1850 with chapel to west after 1869 by Alfred Waterhouse in a Neo-Gothic style. House: gault brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. 3 storeys and basement. Gauged window heads, ground floor egg and dart moulded frieze and dentil cornice, frieze with paterae and egg and dart moulding, deep eaves cornice with carved brackets and paterae on soffit, and truncated end stacks. 6 bays; sashes without glazing bars, those on ground and first floor with blind hoods. Small second floor windows with carved cill brackets, cill railings and flanking Corinthian half columns; first floor windows with carved cill brackets, cill balustrading and flanking Corinthian half columns supporting pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice and triangular pediment; 2 ground floor canted bays with ground floor frieze and cornice carried round, and parapet; 2 inner windows flanking entrance. 2 central one-panelled doors with side lights, dentil cornice and 3-light rectangular overlight. 3 steps to Greek Doric porch with single columns to rear and coupled columns to front supporting triglyph frieze with guttae, egg and dart mouldings, dentil cornice, and balustraded parapet with rusticated square corner piers. Egg and dart mouldings in porch soffit. Basement balustrade consists of Greek Doric colonettes. North front: similar to entrance front but with 3 ground floor canted bays and entrance off-centre to left consisting of 4-panelled door with top 2 panels glazed and blank semi circular fanlight with carved swags in spandrels; stone doorcase comprising architrave, imposts with fluted frieze, and 2 horizontally divided fluted pilasters with acanthus capitals supporting half architrave, carved frieze, and cornice. Chapel: gault brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. North-south axis, nave and chancel under one roof with lower south end, west aisle with 3 cross gables, south-west gabled porch and north-west vestry. Parapeted gabled ends and gabled south bellcote. South end: large west window consisting of stepped triple trefoiled lancets under large arch with returned hoodmould. Porch to left with shafted and moulded arch, 2 boarded doors, and hoodmould. Square headed window to west with 2 trefoil headed lights, plate tracery and continuous hoodmould. Vestry and chancel with one lancet to west. North end: stepped triple lancets with continuous hoodmould and cill string with carved stops. Interior: entrance hall with rich panelled plaster ceiling, bifurcating 3-flight staircase with wrought iron balustrade, 3 bay arched Corinthian arcade to north, and landing with 3 bay arched Ionic arcade. Well executed detailing throughout including panelled doors, doorcases, cornices, plaster ceilings and fireplaces. Chapel with 3 bay west aisle arcade. Known as Aldin House when built this building became St. Michael's School in 1869, two famous pupils of which were Sir Paul Waterhouse, one time president of the R.I.B.A, and former Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin. The school moved in 1883 and the building later became a Jesuit College for 8 years before becoming St. Bernard's Convent in 1897. The quality of the detailing throughout is notable in a building of this date. The History Of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp.93-4.

Listing NGR: SU9902879527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maxwell, F, The History of Slough, (1973), 93-4

End of official listing