This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1113550

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, OXFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OXFORD STREET 1. 5128 (North Side) Church of the Holy Trinity SU 7073 12/540 II 2. Church of England. Built 1826 to the design of Edward Garbett (local man). West front owes its present appearance to the 1845 improvement by John Billing (local architect/builder). Plain brick building oriented north-south, stone fable end capped by octagonal belfry with spirelet corbelled out at apex. 3 stepped lancets and below, 3 arched doors, centre taller with impost string carried over and string above. Side buttresses. 4 Bath stone piers to street wall. Interior: Commissioners' Gothic 5 bay nave, galleries removed, chancel apse and side chapeslls. Excellent chancel screen by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin from it Chad's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Birmingham. (Graded for this reason). Other internal fittings of high quality include a fine early C18 angular pulpit with fluted egg-cup base with a (possibly replica) tester with putti and soon with curled stair of turned balusters. Also a fine shaped and marbled organ of circa 1800. A possibly circa 1826 Gothick chair with upholstery.

Listing NGR: SU7080873413

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 70808 73413

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:57:44.

End of official listing