This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CAVERSHAM PARK (BBC RECORDS)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAVERSHAM PARK (BBC RECORDS)

List entry Number: 1113560

Location

CAVERSHAM PARK (BBC RECORDS), PEPPARD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEPPARD ROAD 1. 5128 Caversham Park (BBC Records ) SU 77 NW 15/551 II 2. Rebuilt, possibly by J T Crews, after the fire of 1850 for William Crawshay, a Welsh iron master, who had bought the estate in 1838. Of the early C18 house of the Earl of Cadogan nothing remains, and very little remains of the works by Mr Acres and Capability Brown in the Park. 3 storeys and basement. Ashlar with iron frame. Ground floor rusticated with Doric frieze over. Piano nobile above. 7 bays, outer wider with tripartite windows, divided by engaged Composite columns (end piers). Dentil cornice, balustraded parapet. Glazing bar sash windows with raised surrounds and bracket cills, pedimented on piano nobile (alternately triangular and segmental). Flanking set back Ionic colonnades of 1840 by J T Crews. 9 bays each with balustrade over, returned to east, orangery to west. Various extensions to east (including chapel) and west (former school rooms etc) and also to north-west which has a classical Doric portico to linked lodge dated 1890. To rear of main house is an Ionic Porte Cochere (now a reception room). Interior retains considerable decoration of the post-1850 house. Large central hall with 2 balustraded galleries, Doric on ground floor, Ionic on 1st floor. The best room is behind Crews West colonnade - arcaded with columned screen to west and apse colonnade to east. Elaborate decoration in the principal drawing room with enriched doorpieces and so on. Chapel altered. A landmark for the railway.

Listing NGR: SU7240476265

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 72404 76265

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:49:28.

End of official listing