CHURCH OF ST GILES AND CHURCHYARD TOMBS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1113579

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES AND CHURCHYARD TOMBS, SOUTHAMPTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES AND CHURCHYARD TOMBS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 17:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES AND CHURCHYARD TOMBS, SOUTHAMPTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 71641 72946

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. SOUTHAMPTON STREET 5128 (East Side) Church of St Giles and Churchyard Tombs

SU 7172 NE 4/244-244A 22.3.57. II GV

2. Church of England. The small mediaeval church was rebuilt 1872 by J P St Aubyn in Early English style retaining only the C13 aisle walls and Perpendicular west tower. Ashlar steeple 1873. Flint faced with stine dressings. Tiled roof. 3 bay aisled nave and slight transept. Y tracery lancet windows except i. plate tracery twin 2-light lancets in belfry. ii. 3 light Perpendicular west window. iii. Good decorated-type trancept windows. iv. Geometric east window. Tower joins at skew and has corner and side buttresses. Pointed west door. Traces of mediaeval walling on south and west sides. 3 bay chancel with flanking chapels. Interior: rich Early English-style chancel. Norman fragments in tower (a capital possibly from the Abbey). Early C16 brass to John and Jane Bowyer. A number of good C18 memorial tablets and a good sculpted memorial to Harwood Awberry (date 1748) by Peter Scheemakers. The graveyard retains much of its C19 astmosphere and contains a number of good tombs. To south-west - 3 chest tombs, the nearest to the church corner is best: early C19 to Thomas Patrick Sourdon, tapering sides, cross gabled capping with corner antefixae. The 2 others are circa 1840 with fluted corners. To north-west and east - another good group of both table and pyramidal-capped tombs. The dest is to William Granger circa 1840 - simialar to the Sourdon tomb (see above) with incised corner piers. Also notable (1) William Green and Woodard family vault - a late C18 chest tomb. Circa 1811, Portland stone, moulded plinth, oval panels to front and back. A number of tombs at the east end face true east (ie aligned slightly differently from the chancel).

Listing NGR: SU7164172946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39169

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing