This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113722



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Campton and Chicksands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37562

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/8 3l.l0.66 Parish Church of All Saints

GV 11*

Parish church. Late C13, C14, C15 and C17. Extensively reworked 1898, including almost all window tracery. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N chapel, S organ chamber, nave, N aisle, S aisle, S porch, SW tower. Chancel: C13, enlarged C14. 2-bay plan. 4-light pointed arched E window, 3-light square-headed SE window. Gable has stone coping and 2 buttresses. Pointed chancel arch. N chapel: (Osborn Chapel) 1649. 3-light square-headed E window (the only one to retain original tracery) has doorway cutting into southern light. Stone coped parapet. Adjoining to N is C18 gabled mausoleum, of red and blue brick with slate roof. S organ chamber: 1898, gabled, with 2 lancets and octagonal chimney stack. Nave: 4-bay N arcade of 1649 with 4-centred arches on octagonal pillars. Late C13 S arcade, formerly of 4-bays but W bay cut by later W tower. 3-light pointed arched W window. N aisle: 1649. Original wood windows replaced 1898 with 3 4-centred arched windows to N and pointed-arched window to W. 4-centred arched door under square head. Stone coped gables. S aisle: C13, reworked early C14. 2 pointed-arched 2-light windows, one with flowing tracery. Embattled parapet. S porch: 1898. Gabled timber structure with clay tiled roof. 4-centred archway with carved spandrels. Some ogee-headed carved panels. Ornate pierced bargeboards. SW tower: C15, heavily reworked 1898. 3 stages. 2-stage buttresses to NW and SE angles, 3-stage diagonal buttresses to SW angle. Embattled parapet. Square-headed 2-light window to each side of top stage. Pointed-arched 2-light W window to lower stage. Pointed arches onto nave and S aisle. Interior: many wall monuments. In N chapel, finest of the tombs of the Osborn family (of Chicksands Priory) is the original white marble pair by John Stone, to Sir John (d.1628) and Sir Peter (d.1653), erected 1655 by Henry Osborn, each aedicule surmounted by coat of arms. In chancel is black and white marble one to Daniel Goldsmith, d.1685, with angel to apron. In SE nave is brass to Richard Carlyll, d.1489, and wife Joan. C15 rood screen now moved to tower arches. Pulpit made up of re-used C15 screen. Circa 1650 2-tiered oak screen to Osborn chapel, with turned balusters to lower part and round- headed arcading to upper part. C19 roofs and font. N aisle and nave retain some C15 pewing.

Listing NGR: TL1299138069

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 12991 38069


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:23:16.

End of official listing