This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113773



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Silsoe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 03NE SILSOE AMPTHILL ROAD 3/127 Newbury Manor


House. Late C16, probably built by a member of the Daniell family (V.C.H. (Beds),vol II, 1908, p.329), reworked C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings, some ashlar rendered. Clay tile roofs. Complex plan, apparently originally hall block and cross-wings, with C19 gables to rear and side elevations. 2 storeys and attics. Front (SW) elevation: 3 stone coped gables, the central one smaller. String courses to first and second floors. 3-window range, mullioned and transomed to ground and first floors, mullioned to attic. Central entrance, rebuilt C19, has ashlar keystone and impost bands and round- headed doorway within 3-centred arched recess. Round-headed 6-panel double doors. Doorway surmounted by square plaque with worn shield. Red brick external chimneys to side elevations with moulded paired octagonal stacks. LH side elevations has 2 blind round-headed archways. Interior: altered and rather plain. House originally surrounded by rectangular moat, now partly infilled.

Listing NGR: TL0760536151

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1908), 329

National Grid Reference: TL0760536151


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 11:40:44.

End of official listing