Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1113817

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 01:18:10.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Arlesey

National Grid Reference: TL 19195 37539


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



31.10.66 Church of Saint Peter


Parish church. Early C13, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed limestone rubble, coursed ironstone rubble and cobblestones, with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, S and N aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C13. N and S walls each have 2 C13 lancets. C14 pointed E window of 3-lights with net tracery. C14 low-side window to NW. C19 vestry attached to SW. C14 chancel arch. Nave: C12 origins, but reworked C13 and C14, with clerestory added C15. 4-bay N arcade, arches with different spans. 2 E ones C13, 2 W ones C14. C13 4-bay S arcade with additional C14 half-bay to W. Clerestory has 5 windows each side, all of 2 lights under flat heads. S aisle: C13, extended to W C14. 2 3-light 4-centred C15 windows to E part. C19 W window. Nave and S aisle have embattled parapets. N aisle: E half C13 W part C14 extension. C15 windows similar to S aisle, 3 to N wall, one to E. C14 pointed-arched 2-light one to E. C14 pointed-arched 2-light W window. C15 pointed arched N door. S porch: C19, gabled, enclosing C14 doorway. W tower: rebuilt 1877, although retaining C15 E arch. 3 stages, with angle buttresses, plain parapet, 2-light pointed windows to bell-stage, and 3-light pointed W window to lower stage. Interior: nave and aisles retain most of C15 roofs, with carved corbels showing angels with shields. C14 octagonal font, rather worn, has carved panels showing scenes of the Fall of Man and the Atonement. S aisle has early C17 squire's pew with panelled dado and slender lonic columns supporting round-headed arches, surmounted by boldly carved openwork frieze of dolphins. N aisle W bay has C14 tomb recess. Adjacent is marble wall monument to Anne Edwards (d.1733) and her son (d.1760), showing a grey obelisk with 2 white oval portrait medallions, flanked by urns.

Listing NGR: TL1919537539


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37785

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing