This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FAIRFIELD HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FAIRFIELD HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1113869

Location

FAIRFIELD HOSPITAL, HITCHIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stotfold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37909

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23NW 5/120

STOTFOLD HITCHIN ROAD

Fairfield Hospital II

Lunatic asylum. Originally called the Three Counties Hospital, served the counties of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Huntingdonshire, controlled by a Committee of Visitors. 1856-60 by George Fowler Jones of York, advised by Mr Hill, Medical Superintendant of the North and East Ridings Asylum in Yorkshire. Builder William Webster of Boston, Lincolnshire. Extended 1868-70 and 1877-81 in similar style by the same architect. Yellow brick, with some patterning in red brick. Painted render dressings. Slate roofs. Complex symmetrical plan. Original block, constructed around 2 courtyards, has projecting administrative block to centre of front (S) elevation, projecting blocks at outer angles of front elevation, and chapel block (now kitchens) to centre of rear elevation. 1868-70 works include 2 recreation halls flanking chapel block, and blocks projecting northwards to W and E of these, which replace earlier low service wings. 1877-81 extensions consist of wings to W and E which virtually doubled size of building. Different blocks are generally of 2 and 3 storeys, with variety of gables and projecting canted bays. Punctuated at intervals by towers and turrets, some rising to 4 storeys and attics. Roofline originally more animated, with great number and variety of chimney stacks and an ornate clock tower to central administrative block, now removed. Towers have variety of roofs, some pyramidal, some tall and hipped, with fishscale tiles and wrought iron finials, other with leaded ogival cupulae, giving hospital slightly French appearance. Most windows have mullions and transoms, many are under cambered relieving arches. Central administrative block has segmental-headed doorway flanked by rusticated pilasters and surmounted by ornate first floor window whose scrolled pediment contains Three Counties crest. Interior: ground floor RH room of administrative block, originally Committee Room, retains plasterwork mouldings to ceiling and ornate wood fire surround with carved strapwork, fruit, flowers and Three Counties crest (with B.H.H. worked into design). Latter has plaque: "This carved oak chimney piece was presented to the Asylum and erected in this Committee Room by William Webster, the contractor for the building, September 1859." Both recreation halls to rear of building have apsidal ends to N and clerestories supported by cast iron columns. Ironwork includes some moulded and pierced decoration. Some stained glass decoration to long apsidal windows and to S elevation windows, the latter showing the initials of the members of the original Committee of Visitors. Other interiors very plain (Bedfordshire Record Office: various documents, including LBPlU, accounts and reports relating to original building l856-60; LF65/4, specifications and notes on 1877-81 works; Z50/2/6-18, photographs by Fowler Jones of the hospital at different dates.)

Listing NGR: TL2038035194

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL2038035194

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:39:40.

End of official listing