BEDFORD ESTATES OFFICE AND ADJOINING BLOOMSBURY STUD BUILDINGS, FORMING SOUTH WEST PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114020

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: BEDFORD ESTATES OFFICE AND ADJOINING BLOOMSBURY STUD BUILDINGS, FORMING SOUTH WEST PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

Map

Ordnance survey map of BEDFORD ESTATES OFFICE AND ADJOINING BLOOMSBURY STUD BUILDINGS, FORMING SOUTH WEST PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 07:18:27.

Location

Statutory Address: BEDFORD ESTATES OFFICE AND ADJOINING BLOOMSBURY STUD BUILDINGS, FORMING SOUTH WEST PART OF PARK FARM COMPLEX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woburn

National Grid Reference: SP 95878 33250

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9433-9533 WOBURN WOBURN PARK 8/183 23.1.61 Bedford Estates Office and adjoining Bloomsbury Stud buildings, forming SW part of Park Farm complex (formerly listed as Woburn Abbey Estate Office and GV II adjoining stables to NE) Former farm buildings belonging to Park Farm, partly converted to offices c. 1880. Park Farm is a model farm designed 1795 (completed 1797) by Robert Salmon, resident architect and "mechanist" to the estate, for Francis 5th Duke of Bedford. Red brick, the main elevations in coursed ironstone. Shallow pitched slate roofs. Long low single-storeyed main block, approximately 100 metres long, with various blocks projecting southwards (to rear). To W end these rear blocks form a courtyard. Rustic Neo-classical style. (front) elevation: symmetrical arrangement. 4 single-storeyed ranges link slightly projecting gabled blocks, the 2 end one single-storeyed, 3 others 2-storeyed. 2-storeyed gables have elliptical arches, LH one a carriage arch, 2 RH ones infilled with recessed part-glazed doors and sidelights (probably late C19). 2 LH ones have round-arched 2-light windows to first floor, RH one has clock face to first floor. LH one is surmounted by timber pyramidal-roofed bell- cote. Where early windows survive these are casements with ornamental geometric glazing bars probably c.1830. To end these are replaced by late C19 mullioned windows in enlarged openings. Some C20 double stable doors to E end. Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. The 5th Duke was deeply interested in estate management and agricultural developments. Park Farm was intended as a place to demonstrate new agricultural technology, and was the setting for the annual Woburn Sheep Shearing, depicted in George Garrard's painting of 1804 and his engraving of the same subject. Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/40 and 41, 1873 and 1879 plans for alterations; J M Robinson, "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839", Architectural Review, November 1976, pp. 276-279.

Listing NGR: SP9587833250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38279

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, J M, 'Architectural Review' in Farming on a Princely Scale Estate Buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839, (1976), 276-279
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

End of official listing