Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114029.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:45:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 95576 41980


CRANFIELD COURT ROAD SP 9541 8/5 Church of Saint Peter and 23.1.61 Saint Paul GV I

Parish Church. C12 origins, C13, C14 and C15 restored 1860's by T. C. Hine. Coursed limestone with ashlar dressings. Render to parts of S elevation. Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: C13 to C14, reworked C19. 5-light E window, 3 3-light S windows, one 3-light N window, all with Perpendicular tracery under 4-centred heads. S elevation also has small square-headed window above pointed arched doorway. N vestry: C14. 2 storeyed with staircase to SW angle. E elevation has C19 2-light square-headed window to ground floor with narrow single light above. N elevation has blocked narrow single lights, one to each floor. W elevation has pointed-arched doorway surmounted by narrow single light. Chancel and vestry have plain parapets, apparently formerly embattled. Nave: C13, reworked C15. 4-bay arcades to both sides, chancel and tower arches, the latter blocked by C20 organ. All are pointed-arched, in similar style. S capital of chancel arch has nail-head ornament. C15 clerestory has 4 windows to each side, all of 3 lights under 4-centred heads, with tracery similar to chancel windows. N aisle: C13 reworked C15. N elevation has 3 3-light windows with 4-centred heads, the tracery similar to chancel windows. C12 round-arcned N doorway, much restored with cement render. C13 pointed-arched E window of 3 uncusped lights. W elevation has 3-light 4-centred arched window similar to N ones. S aisle: one window each to W and E elevations, 3 to S elevation, all of 3 lights under 4-centred heads, similar to nave and N aisle windows. Squint in NE angle gives onto chancel. S porch: C19, with pointed-arched single lights to sides, pointed archway, and pointed-arched doorway. Set into stonework above L of doorway is worn carved Norman relief of a seated figure. W tower: C13, reworked C15, 3 stages. W elevation has C19 pointed-arched doorway surmounted by 2-light window under 4-centred head. Middle stage has variety of small single lights, and a blind 4-centred arch to each side. Bell-stage has paired 2-light windows to each side. Tower, nave, aisles and porch all have embattled parapets. Interior: nave and aisles retain C15 roofs with carved angels and bosses. C19 chancel roof. 2 fonts to S aisle. One is C14, a chamfered square with shafts at angles and C15 carved tracery panels. Other is C19 octagonal, with carved panels and polychrome marble shafts. Chancel has marble wall panel in memory of Thomas Frank, rector, d.1690. N aisle central N window is by Kempe, 1884. C19 pewing throughout.

Listing NGR: SP9557641980


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05169/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].