OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1114056

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 13:27:14.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ridgmont

National Grid Reference: SP 98119 35789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RIDGMONT SEGENHOE SP 93 NE SP 9835 6/75 Old Church of All Saints 23.1.61 - II*

Former parish church now redundant and a consolidated ruin. C12 to C19 Variety of local materials including limestone, clunch, large cobbles, ironstone and cement rendered brickwork. Chancel nave, N aisle, N porch, W tower. Chancel: C12 with later details. 2 bays. Original work in coursed ironstone rubble and cobbles, with limestone quoins. E wall heightened in brick and new window inserted 1820's. N wall has 2 small deeply splayed windows high in wall, of which E one has external arched lintel stone with 3 crosses in circles and 2 saltire crosses. S wall has 2 late medieval clunch dressed windows, one adapted from a Norman predecessor, both blocked with red brick. These flank a brick C19 doorway. Norman chancel arch with impost bands towards chancel with some zigzag decoration. Nave: 4 bays. C12 origins extended northwards C13 with an aisle, and probably also westwards, S wall retains blocked Norman doorway and western respond for a S aisle never completed. 2 large round-headed S windows with wood tracery, inserted 1820's. Buttresses of same date. Pointed-arched W window part blocked and part destroyed by wall of later tower. 4-centred arched doorway surmounted by narrower window (now blocked) both 1820s, give onto tower. W part of C14 pointed arched 4-bay arcade is in clunch, E part in ironstone with 1820's heightening above in rubble and brick. N aisle: C13 with later reworkings. Blocked pointed arched window to end, N elevation has 2 large 1820s round arched windows with wood tracery. 4-centred arched doorway, also 1820's. Walls heightened 1820s with rubble and brick. At E end is canopied niche and doorway onto rood staircase. Raised walls and evidence of roofline against tower indicate that 1820s alterations included covering the nave and aisle with a single roof. N porch: early C19 remodelling of earlier, probably C14, structure: W elevation retains small trefoiled light. Hipped slate roof. W tower: 1823-6 inserted into W wall of church. 2 stages, with coursed ironstone to lower stage and cement rendered brick to upper stage. Round arched window to W lower stage, smaller round-arched windows to bell-stage. Scheduled Ancient Monument.



Listing NGR: SP9811935789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38372

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing