OXFORD HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1114468

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1951

Statutory Address: OXFORD HOSPITAL, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXFORD HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:21:50.

Location

Statutory Address: OXFORD HOSPITAL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ampthill

National Grid Reference: TL 02464 37531

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 774 STATION ROAD

Oxford Hospital, Little Park TL 0237 2/137 17.7.51

II

2. Almshouses, erected circa 1700 in conformity with the will of John Cross, dated 23 November 1697. There is a tradition that Wren was consulted over this building, which is typical of the style formed by him. 'E' - pattern building of 2 storeys in red brick, chequered with blue 'seconds'. Shaped wooden cornice and deeply projecting eaves below a steeply hipped tile roof, in which hipped dormers light an attic storey. The bay forming the central prong of the 'E' hardly projects from the main range and is pedimented into a shallow gable. The wooden pediment encloses a diamond- shaped wooden clock-face dated 1788. The outer wings project far enough forward to allow for one window on their flanks and a narrow stringcourse at 1st floor level binds the entire building together. 7 windows are disposed between the 5 units of the 'E' as follows: 1:2:1:2:1. Along the unbroken rear wall there are 9 windows and on each side wall 3 windows. Dormers correspond to all these windows except for the 3 'prong faces'. All windows are diamond-leaded and those below the eaves have a mullion and transom each; the upper window in the central bay alone has 2 mullions. The roof is tiled in dark red, bordered with lighter red along the outline of ridge, valleys, hips ana eaves. The dormers are roofed in the lighter colour only. The central bay has the main entrance, giving directly into a chapel; double doors, each of 3 panels, below a gabled porch supported by substantial brackets, whose forward extremities rest on slender octagonal pillars. 2 lesser doors at the ends of the main range have slightly projecting gabled hoods. A small louvred wooden bell-turret rides over the centre of the roof; above it rises a simple wrought iron wind vane. 4 chimney stacks are symmetrically placed, 2 on either side of the bell-turret and 2 on the outer wings. The Hospital stands in a simple garden, which is enclosed with a plain low brick wall.

Listing NGR: TL0246437531

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37409

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing