PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1114993
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1114993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 09:27:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE ELDER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Horton
National Grid Reference:
ST7660185045

Details

ST 78 NE HORTON

5/70 Parish Church of St. James the 3.3.61 Elder G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12; rebuilt C14, altered C15 and C16 and restored in 1865. West tower; nave; north aisle; south porch; chancel. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roofs behind plain parapets. West tower: Perpendicular style, of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses which end in pilasters with pinnacles; embattled parapet. 3-light bell chamber windows with stone louvres and cusped heads to the tracery; 3-light west window with small embattled transoms to the tracery, all under a hood mould. Nave: two 3-light windows, as the west window but without the embattled transoms; projection for rood stair. South porch: Perpendicular style, 2 storeys with diagonal buttresses; polygonal stair turret surmounted by a spirelet at north west corner; chamfered doorway and 2-light casement above. Chancel: much restored; 2 bays with windows similar to the nave; priest's door; 5-light east window similar to the west window. North aisle and north chapel: 3 windows similar to west window; buttresses with off-sets; north door with chamfered surround. Interior. South porch: ribbed tierceron-vault with Agnus Dei on central boss; corner jamb shafts with carved capitals, minstrels to the north, grotesque beasts to the south; moulded doorcase with 4-centred head, square hood mould; image niche over; ogee headed stoup. Nave: 3 bay C14 arcade, cylindrical piers with octagonal caps; chamfered arches, the respond of the west arch rests on a grotesque corbel; Perpendicular tower arch with concave moulding; Perpendicular chancel arch and arches to north chapel, cylindrical shafts; wagon roofs. Remains of ashlar rood stair with 4-centre doorways, one of which leads to an enriched Jacobean pulpit on a C15 panelled, vase-shaped base. Font: C12, recut in C17; panelled octagonal bowl on circular base, C17 cover. In the chancel is a pillar piscina with a carved capital and an octagonal shaft. Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in the east window of the north chapel. Monuments. North chapel: Ann Austin, died 1731, grey and white marble, baroque tablet with volutes; William Paston, died c.1673, baroque, grey and white marbles, segmental pediment, winged cherubic heads, gadrooned base; William Paston, died 1769, by James Paty of Bristol, coloured and white marbles, gadrooned sarcophagus, heraldry and inscribed plinth. John Paston, died 1737, grey and white marble, flat obelisk inscribed panel with gadrooned base, heraldry. Nave: Baron de Tuyll, 1913, by W.C.H. King, Art Nouveau plaque, female figures to sides of anurn. Hatchment in tower. (Verey D, The Buildings of England : Gloucestershire ; The Cotswolds, 1970).

Listing NGR: ST7660185045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
34694
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01398/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Osmond. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].