SHOTWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1115124

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: SHOTWICK HALL, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHOTWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 14:30:54.

Location

Statutory Address: SHOTWICK HALL, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shotwick

National Grid Reference: SJ 33746 72054

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 37 SW SHOTWICK C.P. HALL LANE (East Side)

3/31 Shotwick Hall.

4/6/1952

GV II*

Manor house: dated 1662, for Joseph and Elizabeth Hockenhull with some late C20 internal alterations. English bond orange brick with flush red sandstone quoins. Welsh slate roof and 2 massive lateral brick chimneys to crossings. E-plan. 2-storey and attic symmetrical 5-bay front. Dentil brick band at 1st floor and plain band at 2nd floor rising to form hood moulds over the windows. End bays project under brick-coped gables with stone kneelers and finials. C20 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows with applied lead glazing in partly blocked original openings with brick basket-arched heads. Projecting central 2-storey porch with stepped stone-coped gable. Moulded wooden doorcase with filled spandrels and a pendant below brick basket-arched head with raised imposts and keyblock. Similar doorcase behind contains original oak board door with iron strap hinges. 2-light window above and similar 3-light mullioned and transomed windows in bays to either side. Interior: entry into small hall with 2 doors to either side. 3 have spandrels with diamond detail, pendant and imposts. 2 contain original 2-board doors with strap hinges, 1 has a moulded and stopped doorcase. Oak open well Jacobean staircase, with pierced flat balusters, moulded handrail, and decorated square newels now missing the finials. Strapwork border on the open string. Plaster ceilings under the staircase have moulded frieze, and fleur-de-lys and plaques of lions. Room to right is the parlour with a decorative plaster panel above a recent corner fireplace. This has the initials and arms of the builders and the date. Room to rear has a blocked corner fireplace with moulded stone mantel surviving. Room to left of hall has large open fireplace and chamfered and stopped ceiling beam. Identical layout at 1st floor with small oratory over the porch and 6-panelled doors with reeded rails.

This house as Grenville Grange is central to the Victorian novel 'God's Providence House' by Mrs G Linnaeus Banks, where there is a ghost and murder in the cheese room.

Listing NGR: SJ3374672054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 55674

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linnaeus Banks, Mrs G, Gods Providence House

End of official listing