This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JULIAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JULIAN

List entry Number: 1115330

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JULIAN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wellow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7458 WELLOW C.P. HIGH STREET (North side) 12/7 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Julian G.V. I

Parish Church of St. Julian. Founded prior to C12th; it is suggested but without evidence that the present church was built c.1372 by Sir Thomas Hungerford; late C14th/C15th; restored with new chancel, 1845 by B. Ferrey; present chancel 1889-90 by Bodley and Garner; recent restoration completed 1952 by W. Caroe, the younger. West tower. Nave with clerestory (1430), North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel, North (Hungerford) Chapel. Ashlar; partly rubble to porch and east part of south aisle; Cotswold stone slate roofs with slate roof to chancel. Embattled parapets. West Tower: 3 stages, set back buttresses with off-sets which turn into diagonal pinnacles in upper stages; embattled parapet with pinnacles; square stair turret on south-east corner, terminates as octagon; 3-light window to bell chamber with cusped heads; similar but larger window with transom to west; west door has hollow chamfer and ogee moulded surround with 4-centred arch lintel and drip mould, arms carved in spandrels, heads as label stops (1975) are Edward Henderson, Bishop of Bath and Wells and Major Horton-Fawkes, patron of the living. South aisle: Two 3-light windows to west of porch with 4-centre arch lintels, drip moulds with diamond label stops; to east of porch 4-light square headed window with cusped heads, drip mould and carved label stops; angle buttress with pinnacle to west, low buttress to east with scratch dial. North aisle: 3- and 4-light square headed windows. Rood stair turret: c. 1430-50; projects in re-entrant angle between south aisle and chancel; polygonal east face; embattled parapet with pinnacle. Chancel: in matching Perpendicular style; 3-light windows under 4-centred arch lintels; decorative finial on apex of east gable; 5-light east window. South Porch: Rendered to front; diagonal buttresses with pinnacles; ashlar plain parapet which is ramped up at front to form concave sided gable, central pinnacle and niche below containing modern (?C19th) figure of St. Julian; embattled parapets to sides; heavily moulded door surround. Interior South Porch. Fine C 14th south door with 6-lights of blank panels below and reticulated cusped tracery above; heavily moulded, restored door surround; 2 carved niches above; carved angel corbels to proch roof. Nave. 4 bays with typical Perpendicular moulding of 4 hollows and 4 engaged columns; panelled and decorated Perpendicular roof (restored) with corbels, carved as angels; many Perpendicular benches with poppy heads and simple panelled tracery on ends, (Some on fronts or backs). Tower. Arch of similar Perpendicular moulding; tierceron vault with central bell rope opening. Rood. Finely carved and decorated Perpendicular rood screen of c.1430; rood loft and rood itself are by W. Caroe, the younger, 1952. Squints to either side of rood screen, with cusped heads. Chancel. c.1889-90 with fittings of that date; 8 carved heads, early C14th, of kings and bishops set below first south window; 4 further heads, 2 to either side of east window; restored piscina. North (Hungerford) Chapel: c.1443; moulded, carved and painted screen; panelled and decorated roof; probably Easter Sepulchre in north wall, panels of quatrefoils below, 4-centred arch head with cusped panels, inscription (about building of chapel) reads "For the love of Jesu and Mary's sake Pray for them that this lete make"; on east, wall paintings of c.1500 of Christ and 12 Apostles; carved and painted niche head in north-east corner, tomb chest to Dorothy Popham, 1614, heavily mannered Jacobean Ionic columns and entablature, strapwork and arms above; other tablets to the Hungerfords, Ursula (1645), Susanna (1652), Giles (1638). North aisle: carved effigy of priest, c.1400 in 4 centred arch headed recess; Font at west end, possibly c.1250 on Romanesque base, 8 lobed bowl on circular foot with 8 attached shafts; painted ogee shaped cover, 1623. South aisle. Monument to John Hodson, 1733 with oredicule Warrior Chapel at east end - elaborate cartouche to Thomas Scudamore, 1718; piscina. Pevsner (1958) Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol.

Listing NGR: ST7418358400

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 74187 58396

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:45:33.

End of official listing