COMBE HAY MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1115363

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: COMBE HAY MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMBE HAY MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115363 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:53:31.

Location

Statutory Address: COMBE HAY MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Combe Hay

National Grid Reference: ST 73486 59818

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 75 NW COMBE HAY

10/17 Combe Hay Manor 1.2.56 G.V. I

Manor house. In two phases: the western part is c.1728-30 and has been attributed to John Strahan of Bristol; the east and south elevations are c.1770-75 and have many similarities to the work of James Wyatt or George Steuart; for Robert Smith and his son, John. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs behind a blocking course, modillioned cornice, and pulvinated frieze to the west front; ashlar stacks. 2 storeys and attics in hipped dormers, and basement to east side. The west front has 3:2:3 bays : the central bays are marked by Giant Ionic pilasters which support a pediment. Glazing bar sash windows in lugged and moulded architraves with cills on brackets; pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice over ground floor windows; bays 2 and 7 are blocked. The central feature is a Venetian window with Ionic pilasters to the outer lights; the central light is a blank, round-headed niche with an elaborate keystone which supports a shield of arms (John Smith and his wife, post 1775) surrounded by an enriched rococo cartouche. The south front has 3 bays: the outer windows are tall tripartite glazing bar sashes divided by Tuscan pilasters which support a frieze with paterae and a pediment; central glazed doorway in a Tuscan column doorcase with fluted capitals and a plain entablature, and a shallow semi-circular niche over. The ends of the elevation break forward as wide pilasters and are decorated with tall round- headed niches on the ground floor and oval niches above. The east front of 7 bays has glazing bar sash windows without surrounds; central panelled door under an overlight and in a doorcase with paired half-columns, side lights, all surmounted by a pediment. Interior. Hall: coved ceiling and enriched frieze; screen at west-end of 2 Tuscan columns with fluted capitals; panelled doors in enriched surrounds with paterae and moulded cornice. Drawing Room: anthemion frieze; oval ceiling (a Wyatt drawing for a similar but circular ceiling survives in the Victoria and Albert Museum) with scalloped centre which is surrounded by 16 linked oval panels bordered with leaves; 4 oval corner panels painted with grisaille of cherubs; marble neo-classical fireplace; panelled doors in architraves with frieze as main frieze. Dining Room: apsidal niche at north end, enriched with plasterwork; enriched frieze; panelled doors with enriched frieze; marble fireplace. On the west side of the house are four rooms with features of the 1728-30 period. Oak Room: plain fielded panelling and modillioned cornice; 8-panel doors in enriched and lugged architraves and under pediments; overmantel surround by guilloche moulding with side volutes, open segmental pediment with shield and swags, enriched frieze; on the opposite wall is a panel in an enriched surround with side volutes, bay leaf frieze and swan-neck pediment with central shell and C-scrolls. Morning Room: fielded panelling with enriched cornice; 8-panel doors in lugged architraves and under dentilled pediments; coloured marble fire-surround; overmantel of a central panel with swags and a female head under a shell, side volutes and segmental pediment with egg and dart cornice; flanking the fireplace are fluted Doric pilasters which support a triglyph frieze with decorative metopes; similar treatment to opposite wall but with a central mirror in an enriched surround. Staircase Hall: oval glazed lantern with enriched frieze. On the first floor west are 3 panelled rooms with dentilled cornices, each with a 1728-30 fire surround: at the south, lugged architrave and overmantel with a relief bust flanked by swags, all set on a panel which is surmounted by a pediment (illustrated in Gibbs' Book of Architecture, 1728); in the centre, lugged architrave and overmantel with a fielded panel, side volutes and a segmental pediment; in the centre north, lugged surround with a bold egg and dart moulding and an overmantel in an enriched border. (Country Life, 9.III.1951, 16.III.1951. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST7348659818

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32431

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gibbs, J, Book of Architecture, (1728)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Country Life' in 9 March, (1951)
'Country Life' in 16 March, (1951)

End of official listing