CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1115498
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115498.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:34:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tickencote
National Grid Reference:
SK 99044 09492

Details

SK 9809-9909 TICKENCOTE 10/163 14.6.54 Church of St Peter GV I

Church, C12, restored, partly rebuilt and added to 1792 in Norman style by S P Cockerell, nave re-roofed and re-seated 1872, Consists of 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel with priest's chamber above, south tower of 2 storeys and bell-stage, north vestry. Of stone, with Collyweston stone slate roofs and coped gables. Exterior: chancel, buttressed with engaged round shafts. Restored east end has blind arcade of intersecting round-headed arches. Round-headed east window with stylized leaf-mouldings and billet moulded hood mould continuing as frieze to either side. Taller, narrower window above lights priest's chamber. 2 orders of blind round-headed arcading above billet frieze. Blind rectangular panels in gable. Lower arcade and billet frieze return on north and south sides of chancel. North - and south windows similar to east window, but revealing much smaller and entirely plain openings in inner skin of wall. Cornice with stylized leaf moulding (similar to but not the same as that to the windows). Nave treated in a similar manner but without arcading. North vestry, with hipped roof, lit by small plain round-headed windows in recesses with moulded heads. South tower has pyramidal roof with weather vane and contains bells which until 1792 hung in a bell-cote at the west end of the chancel. Round-headed entrance with 4 roll-moulded orders. Tympanum carries tablet commemorating Eliza Wingfield who paid for the 1792 work. Interior: Outstanding mid C12 round-headed chancel arch of 6 elaborately decorated orders on ornamental capitals. The innermost order is roll-moulded, the 2nd has beak-heads, the 3rd zig-zags and crenellations, the 4th various motifs - heads, figures, animals and foliage - the 5th zig-zag and the outermost stylized leaf mouldings surrounded by a billet-moulding. The chancel has a sexpartite rib-vault, perhaps c.1160-70 and of its type unique. The ribs have zig-zag moulding and are carried on stumpy columns with ornamental capitals (the central column to the south is replaced by a taller semi-octagonal shaft). Central boss with head and 2 muzzled bears' heads. Entrance to priest's chamber in north east corner, now blocked. Tall round-headed arches with ornamented capitals enclose windows. Square late C12 font with interlaced arcaded decoration, on recut base. C14 wooden effigy in chancel. Wooden altar table of 1627. C19 nave roof carried on grotesque heads. (V C H Rutland, ii, pp, 277-81.)

Listing NGR: SK9904409492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187251
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Rutland, (1935), 277-81

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12008/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].