Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1115594

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985



Ordnance survey map of THE GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115594 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 20:04:34.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Finchingfield

National Grid Reference: TL6857432816


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 6832 7/24 21.12.67

FINCHINGFIELD CHURCH HILL (south side) The Guildhall (Formerly listed as The Guildhall and Nos.1,2,3,4 The Almshouses)


Guildhall, now a parish room, library and 4 flats. Circa 1500, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 8 bays aligned NE-SW, jettied on both long sides. The bays are of various lengths, the shortest being at the SW end (originally forming a shop, now the stair to the parish room) and the second from the NE end, probably originally the entrance/ stair bay.' The second bay from the SW end forms a covered footway to the churchyard, with the library bay to the NE, and the parish room over the 2. The remaining 5 bays are converted to 4 flats, with 2 C18/c19 axial stacks. 2 storeys. NW elevation (to Church Hill), 8-window range of C18 casements of 2 or 3 lights, all restored in various degrees. Brick base wall rebuilt. The jetty has exposed beams (of which 2 are modern restorations) and joists with 4 original plain brackets. The left corner is cut back to reduce damage from vehicles. The jetty of the right bay is underbuilt. Full set of original sprockets. SE elevation (to churchyard), on the ground floor 6 similar windows, and on the first floor 7 similar windows and 5 smaller reproductions. 5 plain boarded doors, of which 2 stand forward with a lean-to roof (entrances to the upper flats). The jetty of the left bay is underbuilt. Exposed beams and joists (including some modern restorations) and 10 plain brackets, of which some are reproductions. Some original sprockets. The footway through has original arched braces on the Church Hill side, some modern reinforcement timbers, and on the SW side an old (but not original) post with the head inscribed ET and 84 and carved with scrolls. Both sides of the footway have weatherboarded dados, one board being inscribed 1798. The SW end bay has a chamfered axial beam with plain stops, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons, some wall framing indicating 2 former shop windows to the foot- way, and on the first floor square mortices for (missing) moulded mullions and grooves for sliding shutters, facing the churchyard. The library has heavy studding with curved tension bracing trenched to the inside, indicating that there were no original apertures to the footway, a similar beam and joists, and a rebate for hinged shutters facing Church Hill. The parish room has jowled posts, cambered tiebeams with short solid hanging knees, square crownposts chamfered with plain stops, curved down braces, and thin axial braces. Original roof apparently complete. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates. Some original rebated floorboards. The remaining 5 bays not examined internally, but reported to be fully plastered. The Trinity Guild of Finchingfield is mentioned in the Chantry Certificates of 1548 (P.R.O. E.301/19/13 and 20/19). All its lands were granted by the Crown to William and John Myldemay, gentlemen, on 17 January 1549 (Calendar of Letters Patent, Edward VI, I, 295-6). In 1630 Robert Kempe of Spains Hall gave to the poor of the parish 'a messuage at thee church gate called Guildhall' (Report of Charity Commissioners, 546-7). The will of Sir Robert Kempe, 1658, endowed it as a school and almshouses, 'the upper room and a little chamber adjoining and one small room or shop under the small chamber' to form the school and a lodging for the schoolmaster, the remainder to form almshouses for 5 poor parishioners (Essex Record Office, D/DRS/Q1). This implies that the 5 NE bays formed the 5 dwellings (but not one to each bay, as the bay lengths differ greatly), and that the 3 SW bays formed the school and Lodging for the schoolmaster. The present use and arrangement of the building is little different, except that the 5 NE bays have been re-organised to form 4 flats, still occupied by aged parishioners. This building is of exceptional importance, both by its key position at the churchyard entrance, and by the historical continuity of use. RCHM 13.

Listing NGR: TL6857432816


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115167

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing