This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1115709



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Walsall

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219087

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WALSALL MB HIGH,STREET (north side) SP 01 98 SE 16/47 Green Dragon Inn 13.09.82 GV II

Public house. Said to be c1773 with bay window added between 1783 and 1817, incorporating part of earlier guildhall, and now being converted into shops (September 1985). Stuccoed brick. Three storeys. Facade has three-storey canted bay window, with moulded cornice and bands between floors, C20 metal casements-with glazing bars, and parapet stepped up in centre. Doorcase to right. Interior: on the first floor the brickwork of the east wall is exposed and shows a break in the brickwork where the late C18 front was added. There are also fragments of a timber-frame embedded in the wall: some studs and a small section of a rail. Three ceiling beams with mouldings of C16 type are re-used and are not related to the wall-framing. The second floor was not fully accessible, but the roof is said by the VCH to contain timbers re-used from a C15 or C16 timber-framed building. (VCH, Staffs, Vol VII, p 218).

Listing NGR: SP0151498383

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1976), 218

National Grid Reference: SP0151498383


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:27:24.

End of official listing