CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116151
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 02:38:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Walsall (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 01639 98293

Details

WALSALL MB CHURCH HILL SP 0198 SE 16/25 Church of St Matthew 19.11.51 - II* Church, rebuilt 1820-21 by Francis Goodwin, with late C15 chancel restored 1877-80 by Ewan Christian and with earlier remains. Chancel sandstone, remainder of building faced with Bath stone. Comprises a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, transepts, a south-west tower with spire, and a chancel with crypt and north organ chamber. Windows have pointed heads and cast iron Perpendicular tracery. At the west end is a gothic portal. The tower is of three stages with angle buttresses add a stone spire set back behind a pierced parapet with corner pinnacles. The base of the tower forms a porch with moulded pointed doorway. The chancel windows have pointed arches with Perpendicular tracery restored in 1877-80. On the south side it is of four bays separated by buttresses, on the north of two. In the third southern bay there is a doorway at a lower level with chamfered surround and pointed head. In the fourth bay a pointed arch opens into a rib-vaulted passage under the east end. Interior has five-bay nave arcades with iron piers on stone bases. The flat nave ceiling has a plaster fan vault with pendant bosses. On the north, south and west sides are galleries which have timber fronts with blind tracery decoration. The octagonal alabaster font is early C15 and is decorated with shields of arms. The lead lining is dated "1712". The pointed chancel arch is moulded. The timber screen dates from 1915. On the north side of the chancel is a window with original C15 tracery, now covered on the outside by the C19 organ chamber. The triple sedilia and piscina are C19 restorations. The open timber roof over the chancel has three trusses with short king-posts rising from tie-beams, braced to the ridge, with tracery infilling. The choir stalls incorporate some C15 woodwork, including poppy heads and a series of 18 misericords. Under the western end of the chancel is a late C13 crypt with two bays of quadripartite vaulting and two lancet windows. To the east is a C15 tunnel-vaulted crypt. (BoE, p 292).

Listing NGR: SP0163998293

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
219061
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 292

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16182/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].