This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RED LION BREWERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RED LION BREWERY

List entry Number: 1116573

Location

RED LION BREWERY, RED LION LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Farnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1099 RED LION LANE (North West Side) Red Lion Brewery

SU 8446 NW 6/170 SU 8446 7/170

II GV

Large Long L-Shaped malthouse. Mid C19 to early C20. Complex of several connecting buildings of different height and shapes. Red Brick. Gabled slate roofs. Internal spaces divided into aisles by iron columns. Large front along the River Wey comprises 5 sections rising to different heights; 2 storeys; small segmental headed openings at different levels. Originally a tannery on site of west range; the form of the present building is the result of an amalgamantion of Barrett's Brewery, which has been developed in the west range from 1845 onwards, with Robert Simpson's maltings which had been developed in the east part since 1830s. At thimne of re-survey undergoing restoration. [see N Temple, "Farnham Buildings and people", pg 94]

The listed buildings in Red Lion Lane (north west side) Bridge Square, Firgrove Hill (west side) and Nos 57 and 59 Abbey Street form a group.

Listing NGR: SU8405646536

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Temple, N, Farnham Buildings and People94

National Grid Reference: SU 84056 46536

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:20:57.

End of official listing