COCKYNS HOSPITAL COGAN HOUSE COGANS HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1116577
Date first listed:
03-May-1967
Statutory Address:
COCKYNS HOSPITAL
Statutory Address:
COGAN HOUSE, 53 AND 53A, ST PETER'S STREET
Statutory Address:
COGANS HOSPITAL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116577.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:03:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
COCKYNS HOSPITAL
Statutory Address:
COGAN HOUSE, 53 AND 53A, ST PETER'S STREET
Statutory Address:
COGANS HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 14733 57962

Details

1. 944 ST PETER'S STREET

Nos 53 and 53A (Cogan House) TR 1457 NE 4/79A 3.5.67. II* GV

2. A complete list of the occupiers of this house exists back to the late C12. It was originally called Cockyns Hospital after William Cockyn (d l203). This was later changed to Cogans Hospital after John Cogan who occupied the house from 1626-1657 and on his death founded a hospital there for the widows of ministers. The front elevation is outwardly C19. 3 storeys red brick. Old tiled roof in 2 hips. 4 cambered sashes. 2 bays on 1st floor. Ground floor has later C19 shop front with marble risers and a triglyph and paterae frieze. Behind this is an L-shaped mediaeval building of hall type with walls of flint, chalk and stone 2 ft 3 ins thick. It is one of the few stone houses in Canterbury to survive. The interior has been much altered but has a stone pointed doorway in the hall and its original king-post in the attic. An addition was made on the south side by John Bygg mercer and mayor of Canterbury, about 1473. This has a heavily panelled and moulded ceiling of oak on tile ground floor, and carved doorways an the 1st floor. The hall has parchemin panelling, probably erected by John Bygg's widow, Constance, (d 1513), and carved frieze above it, put up by John Thomas, hosier, in the early C16. Later in the C16, Ralph Baldwin added a panelled parlour with a plaster ceiling on the site of the courtyard facing the street and a similar room above it. He also probably inserted the staircase (of which the upper portion was altered in 1870). The house remained a hospital for the widows of ministers from l668-1870. The building was completely refronted in 1870.

Nos 49 to 60 (consec), Methodist Church and forecourt to Methodist Church form a group.

Listing NGR: TR1473057959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
442979
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10142/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Poole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].