Estate House, Cedar End and North Side

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1116678

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1995

Statutory Address: Estate House, Cedar End and North Side, Wingerworth Hall Estate, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, S42 6PL

Map

Ordnance survey map of Estate House, Cedar End and North Side
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116678 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 14:25:24.

Location

Statutory Address: Estate House, Cedar End and North Side, Wingerworth Hall Estate, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, S42 6PL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wingerworth

National Grid Reference: SK 38376 67373

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2018

SK36NE 1264-0/6/148 WINGERWORTH WINGERWORTH HALL ESTATE Estate House, Cedar End and Northside

(Formerly listed as Estate House and Cedar End, LONGEDGE LANE, previously listed as: WINGERWORTH PARK Estate House, North Side, The Hollies, The Yews, East View)

31/01/67

GV II Part of country house, now flats. One of two surviving service wings of Wingerworth Hall, which was completed in 1729 and demolished 1924-1927, and was possibly by Francis Smith of Warwick.

South facade of gritstone ashlar, with squared coursed Coal Measures Sandstone with ashlar dressings used for the sides and rear. Leaded roof behind parapet. Two ashlar chimney caps visible. The main part of the south facade is of two storeys and seven bays, with chamfered quoins and with a plain band below a parapet with coping. The windows are glazing bar sashes in architraves with bracketed sills.

The ground-floor windows have round heads with keystones and impost blocks. The central window on the ground floor was formerly a doorway and has a rusticated surround. The present doorway, to its right, was formerly a window: the sill has been lowered and external stone steps added. Set back to the left is a lower two-storey two-bay wing in a similar style, said to be built in the 1920s re-using C18 stonework. It has glazing bar sash windows, and in its right-hand bay there is a partly glazed door within an architrave. The east wall is of three bays and has mullioned and transomed cross windows with architraves, except for the outer bay on the ground floor where mullions and transoms have been removed. The windows of the left-hand bay are blind. The north wall has two bays at the left projecting forwards. To the right are four bays with a doorway in their left-hand bay. The windows have architraves. On the ground floor there are C20 casements, but the first floor windows retain their mullions and transoms. The door is of six raised and fielded panels with an overlight and the architrave has a keystone.

Listing NGR: SK3837667373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 393549

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing