This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEW BRIGHTON WAR MEMORIAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW BRIGHTON WAR MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1116885

Location

NEW BRIGHTON WAR MEMORIAL, MAGAZINES PROMENADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wirral

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-2011

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 508915

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

DCMS Approve EH Recommendation

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1916/0/10046 MAGAZINES PROMENADE 24-MAR-11 NEW BRIGHTON NEW BRIGHTON WAR MEMORIAL

II War memorial, 1921, by William Birnie Rhind and the architect's firm of Thornton & Sons Ltd. Materials: It is constructed of Portland stone with a pedestal surmounted by three carved figures from the Armed Forces.

The Memorial stands on Magazines Promenade in front of the former Liscard Battery's east wall of 1858, which was abandoned in 1912 after a long period of disuse. It overlooks the River Mersey with views up to the Crosby Channel. It has a large, carved square pedestal with a carved laurel leaf band and triglyph band to the bottom, and a carved egg and dart band to the top, which is set below a cornice. The pedestal is set upon a stepped, circular plinth and surmounted by carved figures of a standing British soldier holding a rifle, a kneeling British sailor holding an anti-aircraft round and a seated Colonial soldier with a pistol. The curved east face of the pedestal depicts a carving of the Wallasey coat of arms above an inscription, which reads '1914/1919/TO THE GLORY OF GOD/AND IN HONOUR OF THE BRAVE MEN OF THIS BOROUGH/WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT/WAR AND TO THE LOVING/MEMORY OF THOSE WHO/MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE'. Inscriptions to the south and north faces read '1939-1945/IN HONOUR OF/THE MEN AND/WOMEN WHO/SERVED IN THE/ARMED FORCES/IN THE SECOND/WORLD WAR' and 'AND OF/THE MEN AND/WOMEN WHO/SERVED IN CIVIL/DEFENCE AND/THE AUXILIARY/FORCES/1939-1945' respectively. The memorial contains a casket inside which holds a Book of Remembrance recording the names of 848 men lost during WWI; an identical copy is held within Wallasey Central Library. The entire memorial is enclosed by eight low, circular Portland stone pillars connected by chains, which are in turn enclosed by a later set of black and gilded railings set in a square arrangement.

HISTORY: New Brighton war memorial was erected in 1921 to the designs of the Scottish sculptor, William Birnie Rhind (1853-1933) and the architect's firm of Thornton & Sons Ltd. The memorial was constructed by Briggs & Thornley and was unveiled on 26th January 1921 by Lord Derby. £6,000 was raised by public subscription, of which £2,500 was used to pay for the memorial and the remainder being used to fund the extension of the Victoria Central Hospital. Inscriptions honouring those who served during WWII were added later.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: New Brighton war memorial, designed by William Birnie Rhind and the architect's firm of Thornton & Sons Ltd and erected in 1921, is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: It has strong cultural and historic significance within both a local and national context * Commemorative: It forms a poignant reminder of the effects of tragic world events on this local community and unusually commemorates both men and women * Design quality: It was designed and sculpted by the notable Scottish sculptor, William Birnie Rhind and has a striking design and composition incorporating carved figures of a British soldier and sailor and a Colonial soldier in contrasting poses looking out over the River Mersey * Setting: The memorial is enhanced by its setting on Magazines Promenade overlooking the River Mersey and Liverpool, and with the east wall of the former Liscard Battery as a backdrop.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 January 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/121253
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/62621

National Grid Reference: SJ 31435 93324

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116885 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:34:50.

End of official listing