Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1117041

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1995



© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 19:57:25.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Brampton

National Grid Reference: SK 33615 71924


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRAMPTON SK37SW Parish Church of St Peter and St 1264-0/2/91 Paul 31/01/67 (Formerly Listed as: OLD BRAMPTON Church of St Peter and St Paul) GV I Church. Mid C14 with C12 and mid C13 remains, fragments of sculpture of c1300, and Perpendicular additions and alterations. Restored 1868. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and ashlar spire. Lead roofs behind embattled parapets, and porch roof of interlocking sandstone slabs. Comprises a west tower with octagonal broached spire, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, south porch, lower chancel, and north vestry. The tower is of 3 stages with weathered set-backs and with angle buttresses. The bell openings are each of 2 pointed lights under a pointed head. The tower has 2 tiers of lucarnes. The west window is of 3 Tudor-arched lights in a moulded rectangular opening. On the south side the middle stage of the tower has a one-light chamfered window below a clock face. Below that there is a window formed by a cross within a circle. The north aisle has mullioned windows with rounded heads to the lights - of 2 lights facing west and of 3 and 2 lights facing north. Towards the right-hand end of the north wall is a blocked chamfered round-arched doorway. The clerestorey has 3 windows each of 2 cinquefoiled lights. The south clerestorey is similar. The west window of the south aisle is a narrow chamfered lancet. To the right of the porch there are 2 moulded mullioned windows, each of 3 cinquefoiled lights. Above the left-hand window is a re-set worn carved figure, and to the left of the right-hand window a carved 'Green Man' figure. The porch has a double-chamfered arch with moulded capitals to the responds and with the outer order of the arch and the crocketed hood mould having an ogee shape. The roof is of solid stone slabs, partly supported by a chamfered pointed internal arch. The inner doorway is Norman and probably re-set with a slight point to the round arch. The inner order is chamfered and the outer one square and carried on angle shafts. Set above the doorway is a stone tablet carved with a figure. The east window of the south aisle is of 3 mullioned lights under a flat head. Above is a tablet (the upper part damaged) carved with a seated figure of Christ. To the left is a figure of the Virgin and Child. The south wall of the chancel has two 3-light mullioned windows with flat heads. Between them is a chamfered doorway with triangular head, and above is the carved head of a 'Green Man'. The east window of the chancel is pointed and has C19 cusped tracery. The north wall of the chancel is blank. In the angle with the north aisle is a vestry and boiler house. INTERIOR: The internal walls are of exposed rubble with ashlar dressings. The tower arch is pointed, with 2 square outer orders and one inner chamfered order. The responds are keel-moulded and have moulded capitals. Two tower buttresses project into the nave. The nave arcades are of 3 bays and have pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders springing from alternate round and quatrefoil piers. Chamfered relieving arches over the 2 eastern bays were inserted in 1821 when the eastern piers were removed. These were reinstated during the 1868 restoration. Above the chancel arch is a chamfered basket arch. The chancel arch below is pointed and is chamfered in 3 orders springing from shafts with moulded capitals. The nave roof is boarded and has pine king-post trusses. The north wall of the north aisle contains a trefoiled piscina with a broken bowl. An organ is set within a C19 pointed archway in the north wall of the chancel. The chancel roof is boarded and has 3 collar-beam trusses. To each side of the tower arch are re-set canopied figures of St Peter and St Paul, formerly in the south wall of the south aisle. Attached to the wall to the left of the arch is a grave slab to Matilda le Caus (d. 1224) with a Lombardic inscription and with a carved head, shoulders, and hands holding a heart visible through a quatrefoil. A memorial attached to the north wall of the north aisle was erected in 1673 in memory of the Clarke family and has crudely carved figure holding curtains away from the inscription. A memorial to Geoffrey Clarke (d. 1734) at the east end of the north aisle is of marble and carved with sarcophagus, urn, Corinthian pilasters, and a broken segmental pediment. It is inscribed: 'Sam Huskisson Fecit'. The octagonal sandstone font appears to be late C19 and has tracery decoration. Late C19 glass includes an east window showing the Ascension of Christ, and 2 windows in the south wall of the chancel showing scenes from the life of Christ.

Listing NGR: SK3361471926


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 393493

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing