This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 154 AND 156 AND RAILINGS AND STEPS TO NUMBER 154

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 154 AND 156 AND RAILINGS AND STEPS TO NUMBER 154

List entry Number: 1117101

Location

NUMBER 154 AND 156 AND RAILINGS AND STEPS TO NUMBER 154, 154 AND 156, DURNFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Plymouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4653NW DURNFORD STREET, Stonehouse 740-1/65/772 (West side) 25/01/54 Nos.154 AND 156 and railings and steps to No.154

GV II

Pair of town houses. Late C18. Stuccoed fronts; rubble to right-hand return with slatehanging to 1st floor of rear wing; steep dry slate roof with 4 hipped dormers behind plain parapet; brick end stack to left of each house. Double-depth plan, front rooms to centre of pair and entrance halls at left and right. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic; each house a 3-window range. Original hornless sashes with glazing bars to No.156 (left), later horned sashes to No.154. Each house has its original doorway with fluted pilasters and open pediments above blind spoked fanlights; panelled doors and reveals; tall stair sash with glazing bars to right-hand return. INTERIOR: not inspected but likely to be of interest. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: rubble walls and dressed stone steps with flanking wrought-iron railings in front of doorway to No.154. Part of a planned late Georgian street, laid out in 1773. HISTORY: No.156 is reputed to have been the home of Hardy who was present at the death of Lord Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 672).







Listing NGR: SX4637953703

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 672

National Grid Reference: SX4637953703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:55:29.

End of official listing