Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1117112
Date first listed:
28-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Sulhamstead Abbots, Sulhamstead

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117112.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:49:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Sulhamstead Abbots, Sulhamstead

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sulhamstead
National Grid Reference:
SU 64506 67949

Details

SU 66 NW 3/23

SULHAMSTEAD SULHAMSTEAD ABBOTS Church of St. Mary

G.V. I

Church. C13 with C19 restoration. Random flint with Bath stone dressings, tile hung east gable to nave and brick east gable to chancel, boarded tower, timber frame with brick infill on south porch. Plain tiled roofs, that on tower pyramidal and surmounted by weathervane. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower, south porch.

West elevation: Truncated gable with tower rising from it, roof brought down over north aisle; central square headed window with three cusped lights and drip mould, above blocked doorway with four-centred arched head, the blocking incorporating carved stones which appear to have been cusped window heads.

South elevation: Nave - plain two-light window to left of gabled south porch, square headed window under drip mould with three cusped headed lights to right; chancel - blocked square window to left of door with pointed arched opening, two lancets to right.

Interior: plastered walls with stone dressings, Nave five bays, timber roof of C15 with double butt purlins and curved wind braces, large timber frame rises from west end of nave to support bell tower, three bay arcade to north aisle of depressed two-centred arches on squat pillar to west and column to east, some remains of painting of soffit of eastern arch, blocked window of one light with cusped head and label mould at east end of north aisle; Chancel arch: chamfered and moulded two centred arch with carved leaf springing; Chancel: two bays early C17 roof of archbraced collar truss with carved springing, clasped purlins and carved wind braces above and below purlins, wainscoted sanctuary with stone piscina in chamfered arch; Fittings: painted timber reredos and alter frontal of pelican with vine and angels and Mary and Elizabeth with vine, angels and scutcheons of arms by Sir Ninian Comper 1936; painted panel with arms of William and Mary dated 1694 on spandrel of arch to north aisle arcade; cylindrical stone font with round arched arcading by south door; glass to east window by Sir Ninian Comper 1938.

Listing NGR: SU6450767950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
40022
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 232
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/15838/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].