CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117135

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BEECH HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 19:51:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, BEECH HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Beech Hill

National Grid Reference: SU 69797 64397

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 66 SE BEECH HILL BEECH HILL ROAD (north west side) 6/3 Church of St Mary 14.4.67 the Virgin

GV II*

Parish Church. 1867 by William Butterfield. Chequered brick and flint, brick and stone bands and dressings; old tile roof with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gable on east end. Nave, chancel, bell turret rises from west gable on projecting brick and flint panel, with 4 stone corbel blocks and square 3 stage buttress below in gable centre. The turret is tile-hung at lower stage and clad in cedar shingles above at belfry level with 2-light wooden openings with louvres, and pyramidal shingle roof. North front: brick and stone plinth at east end, 3 buttresses, the one in the centre is lower; moulded string at cill level carried round buttresses; toothed brick eaves. 4 bays: 2-light windows with stone trefoil heads and plate tracery. Porch at left end with 2 small angled buttresses; timber framed entry screen with carved bargeboards, 2 wall seats and 4-light diamond leaded wood windows with pointed heads on each side with quatrefoil lights over. Interior: Red brick with white brick patterning. 4-bay arcade with stone dressings and square brick piers slightly chamfered. Carved wood tripartite screen to chancel; polychromatic brick and ceramic tiles on walls and floor of chancel with stone string carried over reredos and stepped up to form a pediment. Stone credence on north wall, piscina in vestry. Marble font with colonnaded front. Stained glass by Gibbs except the north east window in the aisle which is by Kempe, 1896. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.84.

Listing NGR: SU6979764397

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39982

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 84

End of official listing