CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1117268

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 10:37:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Woolhampton

National Grid Reference: SU 57722 67695

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/19 Church Of St Peter 6.4.67 - II

Church. 1857-61 by John Johnson in a Neo-Gothic style. Flint with stone dressings, angle buttresses, carved footstones, coped parapets, and tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Tile hung bellcote on ridge to west with cusped openings on each side, shingled broach spire, and weathervane. Rich Decorated style with mainly geometric tracery. Nave, south parch, north and south tran- septal chapels, chancel and vestry. Nave: 2 bays; 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. Large 4-light window to west and one light opening with hood- mould above in base of bellcote, flanked by carved stone dressings. Moulded south doorway with hoodmould and carved stops. Gabled timber south porch on low wall, 2 bays deep with arched panels, decorated bageboards and 2 low gates. South transeptal chapel: 2-light west window, 3-light south window, and door to east with carved tympanum. North transeptal chapel: 3-light north window and trefoiled light in gable above, Caernarvon arched doorway and 2-light window to west. Chancel: 4 arches of blank arcading resting on corbels to south, and 2 trefoil headed lancets; 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, and trefoil light in gable above. Vestry: 2-light window to east, door and 3-light window under gable to north. Interior: 2 bay arcades to transeptal chapels with marble quatrefoil-section piers, foliated capitals, moulded and carved arches, and hoodmoulds. Chancel has moulded arch on marble piers, shafted windows to east and south, and short wall columns on corbelled heads, supporting roof. Wagon roofs throughout, that in chancel painted. C19 fittings include reredos and octagonal font on marble columns. VCH, Vol 3, p. 446; BOE, Berkshire, 1966, pp. 311-312; Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, 194%, p. 156.

Listing NGR: SU5772267695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39685

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 446
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 311-312
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 156

End of official listing