Church of St Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Road, Aldermaston


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:47:35.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Road, Aldermaston

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 59655 64975


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/10/2019

SU 56 SE 6/26 ALDERMASTON CHURCH ROAD (south side) Church of St. Mary


GV I Church. C12 nave extended circa 1210 to form larger chancel, new nave added to west and transeptal chapel added to south; C19 vestry. Restored 1896. Pebbledashed with stone dressings; tiled roofs, shingled splayed foot spire with weathervane. West tower, nave, chancel, transeptal chapel to south and vestry.

West tower: three stages with diagonal buttresses and newel turret. Louvred bell chamber openings on all faces, C14 window with two ogee lights and hoodmould to west with octagonal clock above. C12 re-set west doorway of one order, shafts with chevron ornament, carved doves on capitals, and round arch with cable moulding.

Nave: south side; C15 window with two ogee lights under square head. North side; C14 window with two ogee lights to east and C12 blocked doorway to right, cusped lancet and pair of cusped lancets to west.

Chancel: south side; C19 round arched window to west, C19 window with two ogee lights under segmental head, and round-arched doorway with impost mouldings and keystone to east. East end; diagonal buttresses and triple lancets. North side; two lancets to east with large buttress between; trefoil headed lancet to west and small C15 cinque foiled square headed window above, originally to light rood loft.

Transeptal chapel: cusped lancet to west, C14 window with two ogee lights and hoodmould to south, and cusped lancet with C19 C13-style doorway below to east.

Vestry: lancet to west, two-light window with Y-tracery to south and C19 door with lancet above to east.

Interior: large unmoulded tower arch, two small arced recesses in wall, blind arch to south door with carved head in wall above, wagon roof to nave with carved bosses, and old king post roof to chancel.

Fittings include: C16 pulpit and tester, C16 painted Flemish Triptych, C17 nave wall panelling, hatchments, Charles I coat of arms, C18 chandelier and C19 font.

Wall painting: C14 St. Christopher in south transeptal chapel with C15 canopy to right, vivid C19 paintings in nave and chancel.

Glass: C13 roundels of the Annunciation and the Coronation of the Virgin in north windows.

Monument: large chest tomb in south transeptal chapel to Sir George Forster and his wife Elizabeth Delamare of circa 1530, alabaster with recumbent effigies and small figures under canopies on sides.

Listing NGR: SU5965464976


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 390-394
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 61-62
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 113


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16677/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].