This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAINESHILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAINESHILL

List entry Number: 1117416

Location

HAINESHILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wokingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Nicholas, Hurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41264

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 87SW ST NICHOLAS HURST

6/5 Haineshill 1 .8.52 - II*

Large country house. Late C16 altered and extended C18 and C19. The old part of the house faces west and is U-shaped, brick with bonded rusticated brick quoins, projecting plinth, moulded brick string over ground floor windows, moulded brick cornice over first floor windows, stone copings to gables and parapet, old tile roof, large chimney stacks with rectangular bases, string and cornice carried round, tall octagonal shafts with moulded bases and elaborate offset and shaped heads with projections at angles. 3 storeys and attics. Gabled ends of projecting wings facing west have a 2-light attic casement window, 2 similar 2-light casements on second floor, 2 sash windows on first floor in brick architrave surround of the original windows, ground floor similar except for left hand wing which has door in right hand bay. The inner faces of these wings have a central gable, that in north wing with two 4-light mullion and transom windows on second floor, 2 similar sash windows on first floor, and one in right hand bay on ground floor. South wing has a 2-light attic casement, two 2-light mullioned windows on second floor and two 4-light mullion and transom windows on first floor. The centre part, altered early C18, has a broad gable with large bulls eye window in tympanum over a wide 2 storey angular bay open on ground floor with stone Doric columns at angles and piers on wall face supporting stone entablature. Upper part is brick with stone string at first floor cill level, moulded stone cornice and parapet. On first floor are 3 tall sash windows and on inner face on ground floor a central glazed door flanked by sash windows. South front has 3 Dutch gables with similar string and cornice and stone coping to gables and parapet between. The left hand and centre gables have 2-light attic casement, two, 2-light second floor casements and 2 sash windows on first floor. On ground floor the left hand gable has a sash window in left hand bay and a blocked 4-light mulluon and transom window in right hand. Centre gable has similar sash to left hand and a door to right hand. Right hand gable altered C18 has similar attic casement over semi-circular 3-light sash on ground floor, a large Doric Palladian window on first floor and a large 3-light sash on ground floor. The east block of 1760 is red brick, projecting stone plinth, stone string at ground floor cill level, moulded and bracketted stone cornice and stone blocking course, 9 bays facing east of which the 3 centre project slightly under pediment. 2 storeys. All windows are tall sashes in moulded stone architraves surrounds, the second from right hand and second from left hand on ground floor have cornices supported on console brackets. Glazed central door under large stone Doric porch of 2 columns, 2 wall pilasters and entablature. Interior contains a C16 long gallery in older part. House was built originally by the Windebank family. Sir Francis Windebank was a friend of Archbishop Laud who frequently stayed there. luring the Civil War, the house came into the possession of the Bigg family who continued until the C18 and did some alterations in 1716. From the Biggsit descended first to James Edward Colleton who in 1760 added the large block on the east side and from him to the Garth family, one of whom, Captain Thomas Colleton Garth, founded the Garth Hunt which first met there in 1852. VCH Vol. 111.p.248. B.O.EBerkshire p.210.

Listing NGR: SU8123674080

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 248
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 210

National Grid Reference: SU 81236 74080

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:22:35.

End of official listing