THE CLOISTERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1117523

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: THE CLOISTERS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOISTERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:22:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CLOISTERS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hurley

National Grid Reference: SU 82598 84083

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 8284-8384 HURLEY HIGH STREET (north side)

17/10 The Cloisters 25.3.55 GV II*

Part of the refectory of a Benedictine priory and part of another part of the priory, now a house. C12 altered C14, C16, C19 and C20. L-shaped range of which the west part has 5 bays of the old refectory (the remainder of the Refectory belongs to the Refectory (Item 17/7) Flint and stone with old tiled roof. South front retains 4 trefoiled single lights in the upper part of the wall, under the eaves, with widely splayed jambs; 2 are blocked. Under the second one from the east is a round headed blocked opening of 2 orders, and a similar opening under the westernmost with a C20 half-glazed door. An old lead water pump under the second window with small reservoir tank and spout. Several memorial plaques set into wall, including one to Justin Morell McKenna, R.F.C., d. 2nd October 1917, at Wasnes-An-Bac, France. North front has remains of 2 large early C14 windows with moulded pointed heads and deeply splayed internal jambs; the tracery and mullions have disappeared and have now been filled in with C20 windows. The 3rd arch now belongs to the adjoining property, the Refectory. Entrance front of L-wing is irregular. Left-hand outshut with small gabled dormer and 3 windows below. To right of this is a 2-light window on the 1st floor, entrance porch below with C20 entrance door and 4-light window to right, under a lean-to tiled roof. To the right of the entrance a 2-storey outshut with a 2-light window on each floor. At the right end, 2 windows on the 1st floor and a plain door with a 10-light window on the ground floor, under a lean-to roof. Garden front has early C19 front of 7 bays, the central 3 windows in projection with 12 or 15 pane sashes throughout. Interior has C17 curved brick fireplace to lounge and chamfered beam with fillet to stops. Refectory is open to roof and has a later C16 roof of 6½ bays with tie beams, collar beams, through purlins and curved windbraces. This appears to have become an outbuilding after the Reformation. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

[V.C.H. Vol III p.152 B.O.E (Berkshire) Pl 57]

Listing NGR: SU8259884083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 40908

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 153
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 157

End of official listing