THE MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1117970
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
THE MUSEUM, 9, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117970.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:51:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MUSEUM, 9, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Aylesbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 81764 13861

Details

1. 799 CHURCH STREET (North-East Side) No 9 (The Museum) SP 8113 NE 1/22 7.4.52.

II* GV

2. An early structure refaced in the first quarter of the C18. Formerly the Grammar School. Dated 1719 on rainwater heads. Two storeys and attic. Mainly red brick, some vitreous brick in panels. Projecting plinth with moulded capping. String courses over ground floor windows and below tall parapet. Five windows and four panels on first floor arranged in sequence from left hand - window - panel - window - panel - circular window (over door) - panel - two windows - panel. Similar arrangements on ground floor. Tall six-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of three panes and narrow side glazing, in surround of stone architrave and outer stone strips with carved console brackets supporting broken curved pediment, all of large scale. Return front to St Mary's Square - similar general treatment with slightly flanking projections each with two windows. The central part has - two outer circular panels, two segmental-headed niches with moulded stone cills and square blocked window in centre on first floor. Four tall segmental-headed four-light mullioned and transomed windows on ground floor, (apparently modern) and very tall eight-panel central door with rectangular fanlight of eight panes and stone surround of same design as Church Street entrance. Small niche above pediment of vitreous brick. The panels to upper part of front of vitreous brick. Range of six gabled dormers. Contemporary cast lead rainwater heads of rectangular shape with date 1719 on this front, and similar pattern undated on other front. Interior considerably altered, but two contemporary stairs remain, and stair, doors etc in Church House (part of the same building) formerly Headmaster's House. See Gibbs' History of Aylesbury, VCH Bucks.

Nos 7 and 7A with Railings and Coach House and No 9 form a group.

Listing NGR: SP8176413861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
41857
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gibbs, R, History of Aylesbury, (1885)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15301/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Terence Beck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].